2nd Gen Skid-plates - Page 3 - Nissan Xterra Forum

#21 Old 06-20-2011, 05:09 PM
ASFIR4x4
Noob

ASFIR4x4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Ted View Post
For those of you looking for a lighter weight option, but something better than factory, check out ASFIR4x4 - they make aluminum skids for the 2nd gen, the FJ, and several more makes. I have seen them in person, and they look like they would hold up to some light wheeling. That being said, they are not useful for boulder hopping.
Actually the aluminum is designed to hold up to decent rocking. We have installations on a number of different vehicles that see some good usage.
Even an offroad school in Sedona that outfits all of their vehicles with our skids.

All of our skids are made from 1/4" 5052 Aluminum, same material used in armored tanks, and use factory mounts or we add in 1/4" Steel brackets.

Ted, come on over and check the skids out again I think we might surprise you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 Old 06-20-2011, 08:52 PM
rcybergeek

2010 Xterra
rcybergeek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyboy View Post
Wow!!! those are AwEsoME!!!

Looks really good man, feels good to do the install yourself huh?

Do you mind if I ask what they cost?
Actually, no, it did not feel good to do the install myself. It was literally a pain in the neck (and arms). I am getting too old for this stuff.

I paid what Hefty Fabworks has on their site (http://www.heftyfabworks.com/), 670 something for powder-coated. I live near enough that I could pick them up instead of paying shipping.
2010 Xterra
#23 Old 12-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Quin
Noob

2012 Xterra
Quin is on a distinguished road
Where is the best place to buy full set of skid plates?!

I have a 2012 pro 4 x, I have already got the rock sliders... However I was wondering where is the best place Ivan buy the strongest skid plates, I am looking for the ful set I live in co, any good places I have been looking at shock works and heftyfabworks!
2012 Xterra
#24 Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 PM
ryandavenport
Professional

2007 Xterra
ryandavenport has a spectacular aura about them ryandavenport has a spectacular aura about them ryandavenport has a spectacular aura about them
I run the HeftyFab skids on my truck and they have worked really well for me. They have held up multiple trips and they fit really well.

2007 Xterra S 4x4

Wheels, Tires, and Suspension
285-75 R16 BFG AT-KO, Pro-4X Wheels, 2" OME Lift

Armor
NXRocks Skids, TAG Rear Bumper, White-Knuckle Off-Road Rock Sliders

Exterior
Xoskel Bumper Mount Bracket, Blacked out Emblems, Weathertech Vent Visors, FOURTREKS Hi-Lift Mount, Wilson1000 CB Antenna

Interior
Pioneer AVHP3200DVD, Midland CB, Compass Mirror, Nissan All-Weather Floor Mats, Nissan Carpeted Cargo Mat
2007 Xterra
#25 Old 01-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Orphanboy

2011 S Xterra
Orphanboy is on a distinguished road
Parts List for 2nd Gen Schrockworks Skid Plates

Good Afternoon,

I have the S-Works skids for 2011 Xterra S. I want to replace all the mounting hardware with stainless bolts/nuts/washers.

Short of crawling twice to get size them reinstall to get to garage; does anyone have the list of parts for 2nd gen S-works skids or a link?

Thanks Much/

Jeff
2011 S Xterra
#26 Old 05-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Hagar

2013 Xterra
Hagar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcybergeek View Post
Well, there is also hill descent assist, off-road lights, and upgraded shocks. I'm only a little jealous of the hill descent and shocks.
The Rockford box is pretty nice, also the leather interior and by the stats the resale should return most if not all the difference in price. (that's what I told my wife anyway)

US Air Force, We never left one up there.
2013 Xterra
#27 Old 05-25-2013, 09:13 AM
woodsman55
Noob

2012 Xterra
woodsman55 is on a distinguished road
Question Aluminum (Asfir) skids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Ted View Post
For those of you looking for a lighter weight option, but something better than factory, check out ASFIR4x4 - they make aluminum skids for the 2nd gen, the FJ, and several more makes. I have seen them in person, and they look like they would hold up to some light wheeling. That being said, they are not useful for boulder hopping.
Hi all,

I'm a new owner of a 2012 Pro-4X, after 10 years with a Grand Cherokee. As I get closer to retirement, I plan to do more off-roading, but plan mild to moderate type, sticking mostly to dirt roads and trails, NF access roads, etc. I occasionally run into ruts, wash-outs, small rocks and trees. From what I've read, the factory skids offer fairly minimal protection. I do not plan any rock crawling, so I think the steel skids are really overkill for me (I'm not keen on the added weight either). My question is whether the factory skids are sufficient for my needs or should I consider something like the Asfir aluminum skids? I certainly like the concept of less weight (I really like the way the Pro-4X drives/handles). Any Asfir (or other) lightweight skids users have any experiences to share? Are you able to perform routine maintenance (fluid changes) without removing the plates? Any unintended consequences? What does a full set of aluminum skids weigh? TIA for your comments and suggestions. I have to say I love the Pro-4X (Super Black, BTW).
2012 Xterra
#28 Old 05-25-2013, 09:57 AM
maillet282
Veteran

2009 OR Xterra
maillet282 is on a distinguished road
hey woodsman 55, first of all welcome to CX, second of all, lots of people that have installed the heftyfabworks or shrockworks skids will say that the added weight helps with the center of gravity of your rig ( I cant speak of experience cause I am still running stock skids for now) as for if the stock skids being enough for what you want to do. Some people have doubled up the stock skid plates but they till aren't as strong as a good set of aftermarket skids

build thread:
My 09 Xterra
2009 OR Xterra
#29 Old 09-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Golf286

2012 Xterra
Golf286 is on a distinguished road
I run Hefty skids, sliders, and Bumpers there a Colorado company and they have great customer service and fantastic products IMHO..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
2012 Xterra
#30 Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Xterra-Sandman
Noob

2006 Xterra
Xterra-Sandman is on a distinguished road
The asfir skids are also a lot more expensive than going steel with the hefty/shrockworks product 1400 for a full set where as with hefty it's 560 plus a lower center of gravity and added protection kind of a no brainer go hefty all day long!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
2006 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.