2002 SE Supercharger Sound - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 12-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Gsimpson2G
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
Gsimpson2G is on a distinguished road
2002 SE Supercharger Sound

So, when I first picked up my X, I thought the supercharger sounded awesome. After watching a few videos of supercharged X's, I don't think mine sounds so normal now. Instead of a wine, it has a rushing of air sound. Engine appears to be stock. Does this sound normal? I have never had a Supercharged vehicle before.
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 PM
iwashmycar
Addict

2003 Xterra
iwashmycar is on a distinguished road
On many OEM supecharged vehicles you get more sound with aftermarket cold air intakes and even a reduction pulley. I dont personally know what an XTerra sounds like supercharged and stock, but I am sure Nissan did not want it to be all too loud!

-Adam

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 2WD AT

2007 (O|TOYOTA|O) FJ Cruiser 4WD AT
2003 Xterra
#3 Old 01-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Gsimpson2G
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
Gsimpson2G is on a distinguished road
Well, drove it today, and now the supercharger has a nice wine to it, and she pulls up hills much better. Stopped at Autozone to pick up some Seafoam, and had them check for codes on it. Only one that pulled up was the Knock Sensor code. Sadly, he couldn't clear the codes for me . Will disconnecting the battery clear the code for me like with other vehicles, or will it clear itself over time?

I have a feeling it had some old gas in it when i got it. First time I filled it up, it reeked when I opened the gas cap. Probably what threw the code, unless the sensor has gone bad.
2002 Xterra
#4 Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 AM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
The knock sensor is probably bad. That and the distributor are probably the two most common problems on an xterra. Most people just ignore it since it doesnt cause the light to come on, but on a boosted engine I would probably fix it.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#5 Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Mirage
Veteran

2003 Xterra
Mirage will become famous soon enough Mirage will become famous soon enough
the knock sensor code will cause the sc bypass valve to open, causing you to have reduced boost/power. try asking if you can clear the code with their scanner, or go to another parts store (some won't clear it themselves, but will let you clear it). drive it for awhile and see if it comes back.
2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.