Heater core inlet outlet? - Page 2 - Nissan Xterra Forum

#11 Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 AM
DaddyMO

2000 Xterra
DaddyMO is on a distinguished road
Happy New Year all... so heres an update on my issue.

Last night was cold as hell here in CA so I decided to just test the Jerry rig I did the other day (1/2" x 2" copper tube amazing GOOP'd to broken heater core inlet). I just connected everything up, topped up the water/coolant and test drove around town fro 20 mins. Then took her out and drove about 40 miles round trip and everything was fine. Nice to have HEAT on a cold NYE night! I still need to re-do this Jerry rig with epoxy. I think everything held up because the cold weather. I monitored temps at the inlet hose and it got up to 158-160 max. The GOOP states its only good up to 150 degrees and thats where my paranoia sets in!
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 Old 01-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Chef
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
Chef is on a distinguished road
Don't chance your cooling system. Find some high temp PVC and cement if you are doing this method. You know what 2 dissimilar metals And a liquid is called? A battery and can cause damage to your water pump and channels through electrolysis
2003 Xterra
#13 Old 01-01-2013, 01:12 PM
DaddyMO

2000 Xterra
Thanks Chef... Someone outside the forum told me copper should be ok. If your 100% certain I will look for a plastic which was hard to find at my local Ace hardware. I'm out getting the epoxy now so hopefully I get a reply while I'm out.
2000 Xterra
#14 Old 01-01-2013, 03:24 PM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
ShiftingSkys will become famous soon enough
If you want to know whether you have electrolysis in your cooling system go to walmart or autozone and buy a cheap VOLTMETER or MULTIMETER. Put the Black lead on the Negative terminal of the battery and DIP the RED lead in the radiator.

Do this Test with the engine off AND with the engine ON.

After you obtain your reading for Off and On. Turn ALL electrical accessories you can think of on and test again. These three tests should just about cover you. Make sure when you dip the lead in you are NOT touching the radiator. Coolant only. Also If you Just ran the vehicle BE CAREFUL when removing the Cap if you are going to remove it.

The Meter has to read 0 to .3
.5 and greater is bad in Cast Iron.
.10 or higher is bad in cast Aluminum.

2002 Nissan Xterra

Lifted and Ready to Roll!

Build Thread-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38877

Last edited by ShiftingSkys; 01-01-2013 at 03:26 PM.
2002 Xterra
#15 Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 PM
DaddyMO

2000 Xterra
I ended up going with some nylon 1/2" x 2". Well... as I was pulling off the copper more of the brittle heater core inlet tube broke off. I did what I could. Prepped and cleaned everything and did the epoxy thing. Let it set and cure for 4 hours before I topped up coolant/water. On the heater hose side I had to use some Honda bond (RTV) to get a good seal. All this work to have a small leak inside the firewall side somewhere where the epoxy meets the HC inlet tube. Errrrgggghhhh!!! Im gonna tackle the DIY and start removing the dash but Ill have to leave it in driving condition for the wife to get to work.

If I tackled the job in one day how long would it take 8-12 hours?
2000 Xterra
#16 Old 01-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Chef
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
Chef is on a distinguished road
If its leaking inside, then you have bigger issues. I e heater core. Might as well change out evaporator since you have it open
Not sure on time should be available in the chilton manual
2003 Xterra
#17 Old 01-02-2013, 03:52 PM
SnickerDoodle
Addict

2002 SE/XE Xterra
SnickerDoodle will become famous soon enough SnickerDoodle will become famous soon enough
Total took me about 7 hours and that was with a lunch break.
key is to take photos as you remove things. It helps with putting it back together if you are planning on tackling it by yourself. I had help from the boyfriend so it was a bit easier.. however I did end up with 4 really shiny, bigger bolts left. But so far it's been a year and nothing has fallen apart or rattles so who knows what they went to lol
2002 SE/XE Xterra
#18 Old 01-02-2013, 06:16 PM
DaddyMO

2000 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnickerDoodle View Post
Total took me about 7 hours and that was with a lunch break.
key is to take photos as you remove things. It helps with putting it back together if you are planning on tackling it by yourself. I had help from the boyfriend so it was a bit easier.. however I did end up with 4 really shiny, bigger bolts left. But so far it's been a year and nothing has fallen apart or rattles so who knows what they went to lol
Thats great to hear! Dealer said cracked manifold would take them 6 hours to do and I got it done in 3.5 - 4. Never took out a dash that needed to be put back in though, LOL!

The good news though is the wife drove to work and so far there is no water missing from the radiator. I think all the coolant on the floor was from the copper I Jerry rigged earlier. Still... I hate knowing that this thing is rigged and I wil DIY the core ASAP!
2000 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.