Revolver shackle fab - Page 2 - Nissan Xterra Forum

#11 Old 01-01-2013, 03:53 PM
lddfarms
~Victoria

2001 Xterra
lddfarms is on a distinguished road
I think you can do it, however you are going to have to take into consideration a few things. 1. The stress point. 2. The metal strenght of the material (alum vs steel). 3. Thickness or multiple layers vs one manufactured out of one layer. 4. On the greaseable part, we have tapped bolts or pins drilled out and then added a grease fitting. The problem here is that the diameter that you are working with is much smaller than the farm equipment so again it's going to get down to materials used or adding bushings to compensate for smaller diameter.

~Victoria

'01 Canteen Xterra
manual tranny
Rig name: MatchboX
The OTHER ride is a tractor

Mods:

(X) New a/c system
( ) PML - hubby says "Not"
( ) CB
(X) Roof Rack build #1 - paint
( ) Roof rack build #2 - air dam/lights
( ) Audio
(X) Refurb plastics
(X) Aries Brush Guard
(X) Trailer hitch
( ) Wheels
( ) Run the wheels off of it.
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 Old 01-02-2013, 09:08 AM
midget28
Phreak

2002 Xterra
midget28 will become famous soon enough
The double shackle works but has some drawbacks. Ive seen them on the trail and I wont do it bc there downsides are in how I like to wheel.

Basically it allows for more droop and therefore more travel overall. However, in doing so they tend to unload and get tippy on steep drops/climbs and offcamber situations.

I dont know how the revolvers react but I would assume since they never fully collapse like double shackles do they are less likely to unload.

If your on 33s and just want a little extra travel and arent running trails where theres a large chance of rollovers double shackles would be a fairly inexpensive improvement.

02 Xterra beaten and battered but still going strong. MAKE IT OR BREAK IT. http://www.miobi.org
3/4ton SAS on 37s.
Build thread http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/sho...ight=midgets+x

Last edited by midget28; 01-02-2013 at 04:56 PM.
2002 Xterra
#13 Old 01-02-2013, 11:16 AM
pow3r

2004 Xterra
pow3r is on a distinguished road
If you did double shackles could you just put in a Johnny joint somewhere to alleviate the leaf sprig swist?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
2004 Xterra
#14 Old 01-02-2013, 04:54 PM
midget28
Phreak

2002 Xterra
midget28 will become famous soon enough
You could, depending on what style shackles you used. There are several companies out there that use a johnny joint instead of a rubber bushing. diy4x.com is the first that comes to mind but there are alot more out there. It wont help either downside though.

The real question here would be what your end goal is bc revolvers and dual shackles both are 2nd to a proper spring swap.

02 Xterra beaten and battered but still going strong. MAKE IT OR BREAK IT. http://www.miobi.org
3/4ton SAS on 37s.
Build thread http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/sho...ight=midgets+x
2002 Xterra
#15 Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM
pow3r

2004 Xterra
pow3r is on a distinguished road
I have seen the bolts tapped for grease before, those would be a possibility. The bottom line is that I have a 2wd, my parents paid for most of it so I can't really complain but I do like to go mudding and off roading with my best friend who has a 4x4 and right now I can keep up most of the time because I hve far greater axle travel so I maintain traction, but he just got disconnects for his sway bar so I have to up the ante lol but since it's 2wd it's a budget build

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
2004 Xterra
#16 Old 01-03-2013, 04:36 PM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
ShiftingSkys will become famous soon enough
Oh I see. Yeah I bought the revolvers for my 2WD and they helped a good bit. Now I just need some longer shocks. Try finding a deal on them. I bought them off a member on this site.

@ M3C.CA what kind of dubious stuff do they do on the highway?

My revolver work just fine and I notice no different drive ability concerns with them DD or on highway.

X2 on the locker. Lockers are Like Easy Buttons for Wheeling Lol. Expensive though. Your freind will have to do alot to keep up with that upgrade.

2002 Nissan Xterra

Lifted and Ready to Roll!

Build Thread-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38877

Last edited by ShiftingSkys; 01-04-2013 at 12:42 PM.
2002 Xterra
#17 Old 01-03-2013, 05:06 PM
M3C.CA
Addict

2003 Xterra
M3C.CA will become famous soon enough
Revolvers already have a somewhat dubious reputation (odd highway handling from what I've heard) and you better believe that more R&D and testing has gone into those than is realistic for a single person to do. I'd wouldn't even get close to some homebrew Revolvers.

If you want to hang with the 4x4 guys better get a rear locker. You won't regret it.

mongrel in the making
BUILD THREAD
2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.