Recommeded Offroading gear??? - Page 2 - Nissan Xterra Forum

#11 Old 12-31-2012, 01:25 PM
maillet282
Veteran

2009 OR Xterra
maillet282 is on a distinguished road
the tire plug and Tire repair kit are the same things when push comes to shove. keep in mind that if your using that green slime crap your gonna toast your TPMS sensors if you have them

build thread:
My 09 Xterra
2009 OR Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Drake
Club Xterra O.G.

2004 Xterra
Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by maillet282 View Post
the tire plug and Tire repair kit are the same things when push comes to shove. keep in mind that if your using that green slime crap your gonna toast your TPMS sensors if you have them
Very good tip. Plus, tire shops hate that crap and you also need to let them know if a wheel has that gunk in them before they change them or balance them. It throws the tire out of balance pretty bad also. A good last ditch effort to save a tire but patch/plug it if at all possible before going that route.

As for the spare axle, yes it is good to carry one. Not an absolute must but it is good to have one on hand. Most times, the auto hubs will break before the CV (which is a good thing) but I have been with two trucks who've broken CV's and it really cripples a rig. One failure was more mileage than trail damage. The trail more or less broke the camel's back but the guy said that the CV was nearing the end of its life span. Where he broke it (gradual rocky uphill on #22 at Coal Creek) was not extremely difficult. Just enough off-camber and bounce to finally do it in.

2004 Silver Ice SE S/C (leather package)
Drake's Build Thread

2004 Xterra
#13 Old 01-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Bobcat75

2004 Xterra
Bobcat75 is on a distinguished road
what about the actual tools you carry?

So all the spare parts etc are great ideas.

I've got all the standard stuff like shovels 2 types one for moving a lot of material like snow and another for tougher stuff. I also have a poop shovels so i guess it's 3 shovels. I have a space blanket, flashlight, some food, water, tarp, coveralls, two pairs of gloves, hi lift with big base plate and a recovery kit. I've got on board air, a gas can, and a NOAA radio.

Fuses are a great idea (i'm not sure hwy i don't have any).

What I've been trying to put together is an appropriate tool kit to keep on board. When I had VW's there was essentially a small tool bag you could put together that would get you out of most situations on to a more complete set of tools.

Currently I've got an assortment of metric sockets, screwdrivers, some vise grips, a hammer or two, and maybe some electrical tape.

Any other suggestions for my tool bag?

Thanks

Actively seeking an outdoor escape from the Urban nightmare that is Lynnwood, WA.
2004 Xterra
#14 Old 01-21-2013, 05:50 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
a piece of pipe for a breaker bar. I have some 3/4 emt I keep with me in case i need one.

Set of extractors in case you strip a bolt. I found a set of 5 craftsman on sell for about $12.

Extra rotor and Cap. I bought some before I replaced the distributor so I keep the spares with me. Not necessary but If you have them carry them.

I plan on getting a couple of small sets of sockets and wrenches to keep in my box in my truck. anything with 10-18mm should be good for most things, and a set of hex bits in case you need to pull a hub. I currently throw a tool bag in my car when I am going out, or even on a trip more than around town, but I tend to take crap out of it and leave it in my tool chest in the basement and cant find crap when I need it. Even some cheap kobalts or harbor freight sets that live in my truck would be better than nothing. Still gonna take my good tools with me, but have those as backups in case something breaks, or I forget my tool bag. I also carry one of those gator sockets with me everywhere. Not the best option, but it will fit anything up to 17mm and I have had to use it a few times when I couldnt find what I needed.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#15 Old 01-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Tarditi
Veteran

2006 Xterra
Tarditi is on a distinguished road
hose clamps, gorilla tape, baling wire or metal coat hanger, plumber's tape, JB weld...

Dustin Tarditi
Raleigh, NC
2006 Granite S
2006 Xterra
#16 Old 01-21-2013, 07:24 PM
maillet282
Veteran

2009 OR Xterra
maillet282 is on a distinguished road
you could always use the handle from the high lift as a cheater bar instead of having 2 to 3 different pipes

build thread:
My 09 Xterra
2009 OR Xterra
#17 Old 01-21-2013, 08:10 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
I use that for open spaces. the piece of emt is about 15 inches long. works out really well in tight spots. I have never had to use it outside my garage, but it gets more use than about any other tool I carry.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.