Wtb mosin nagant 91/30 - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 12-26-2012, 12:29 PM
pow3r

2004 Xterra
pow3r is on a distinguished road
Wtb mosin nagant 91/30

Hey guys,wondering if any of y'all wanted to sell your mosin. I'm also looking for any pros and cons y'all have experienced with the gun. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Odinson
Noob

2009 Xterra
Odinson is on a distinguished road
My 2¢

Great guns!! Mosins are cheap, simple & relatively easy to clean. Very few moving parts = very reliable, as long as you clean whatever they put on the guns to store them - most from a Big 5 will be straight from surplus storage and need a thorough wipe down.

Pros
-Accurate as hell - iron sites can get you 700+ yards once properly sited
-Cheap and thus replacement parts are cheap, plus sportster (new, light weight) stocks are pretty common and easy to come across if you want to get rid of the wood stock
-Strong. The 7.62x54 (known in the US as .308) will take down some pretty large game - anything under 600 or 700 lbs wouldn't stand much of a chance.
- Stripper clips - a thin piece of metal made for quick reloads, put right above the open bolt & push the five rounds down in to the clip. Russian stripper clips are the best, though a bit rare.
-Made for war - Many don't agree but I personally find that guns made for war are stronger, sturdier and simpler, all plus's in my book. Recreation rifles can be finnicky and over designed.

Cons
-Old rifle = old hardware. Sometimes you have to muscle those bastards through a round, which means piecing it apart, sanding it down to a fine shine & refinishing (or just muscling through it
-Heavy - if you plan on hunting, know that the ammo is heavy and so is the rifle. But that makes for much more damage per round.
- Loud - All guns are loud but these things SCREAM - even send a 2ft firebolt out when shot at night, so very easily spotted by site and honed in on by sound.
- Kick like a mule. You can add rubber stoppers & such to decrease kick (which definitely help) but be ready for some bruising on your shooting shoulder after a couple hundred rounds.
- Most scopes get in the way of stripper clips. Only the Scout Scope, mounted in front of the bolt, allow for stripper clips.

Over all a great gun, especially for the ridiculously low price. They fly off the shelves when stocked in stores. Really popular. Great for hunting or as a back up/give to a friend when SHTF. Can't go wrong with a Mosin. Happy hunting!

- "Let us live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." - Mark Twain
facebook.com/jlinahon - 2009 Xterra 4x4 - Los Angeles, California - facebook.com/sirion
2009 Xterra
#3 Old 12-26-2012, 01:47 PM
midget28
Phreak

2002 Xterra
midget28 will become famous soon enough
My buddy had one and..... dont.....EVER......Shoot it one handed lmao.

02 Xterra beaten and battered but still going strong. MAKE IT OR BREAK IT. http://www.miobi.org
3/4ton SAS on 37s.
Build thread http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/sho...ight=midgets+x
2002 Xterra
#4 Old 12-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Tarditi
Veteran

2006 Xterra
Tarditi is on a distinguished road
One other note - the bolt requires a bit of tweaking if you plan to use any optics... great gun though - I plan to get one ASAP.

Dustin Tarditi
Raleigh, NC
2006 Granite S
2006 Xterra
#5 Old 12-26-2012, 03:36 PM
cervasa

2000 Xterra
cervasa is on a distinguished road
Garage
^ you can avoid that if you run a scout scope setup....great rifle for super cheap with really cheap ammo you cant go wrong
2000 Xterra
#6 Old 12-26-2012, 03:54 PM
pow3r

2004 Xterra
pow3r is on a distinguished road
Yah. Looked at one in the store before Christmas and will probably buy it this week fro the store if no private owners want to sell. I plan on bending the bolt down and not running stripper clips just good old fashion pushing them in so the scope won't really bother me. Thanks for the info guys keep it coming!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
2004 Xterra
#7 Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 AM
BrewGuyTim

2002 Xterra
BrewGuyTim is on a distinguished road
Congrats on wanting a 91/30! Great rifle and ammo is cheap in bulk.

I would suggest some reading about how to remove your rifle from suspended animation as well as how to refinish the stock and other wood furniture.

When I re-did mine, I spent a great deal of time reading in this section of Guns and Game forums: http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/mosin-nagant/

Lots of good information in those threads. Especially the stickies at the top.

I'm going to say, that if you plan on just "wiping it down" or merely running a series of patches soaked with Hoppes #9, you're going to be also doing a lot of laundry as the cosmoline will be all over your shirt/jacket, hat, face, etc.

Cosmoline is a preservative (think Vasoline on steroids). When these rifles came off the lines and got put into storage, they were dipped in boiling barrels of cosmoline. They were then put away and never heard from again until they got sold off by the case. That cosmoline penetrates the woods, gets into every single nook and cranny in that rifle. This is a good things. It prevents rust and wood rot. But it's a PITA to get out.

Here's mine pre and post cleaning/refinishing: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/bolt-gu...ml#post3156683

Last edited by BrewGuyTim; 12-27-2012 at 10:13 AM.
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.