Valve cover gasket replacement - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 06-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Nickolae
Seasoned

2004 Xterra
Nickolae is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Valve cover gasket replacement

Ok ladies and gents. I need to replace both of my valve cover gaskets. The rock auto box came in so it's go time. It seems like a straight forward but time consuming job. Anything I need need to know to keep the surprises to a minimum?

I will post pics.

04 Xterra XE. Goodyear Silent Armor Tires. Volant CAI. PML with Calmini Shackles. Uniden CB Radio. Firestik 2 Antenna. Mud flap delete.

NXM 2011 Video
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-23-2011, 10:36 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
You are aware that in order to remove the drivers side you will need to pull the intake plenum?

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#3 Old 06-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Nickolae
Seasoned

2004 Xterra
Yes. Is it any more complicated than; unscrew, take off, put back on in reverse order?

04 Xterra XE. Goodyear Silent Armor Tires. Volant CAI. PML with Calmini Shackles. Uniden CB Radio. Firestik 2 Antenna. Mud flap delete.

NXM 2011 Video
2004 Xterra
#4 Old 06-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Itsme
Phreak

2000 4x4 Xterra
Itsme will become famous soon enough Itsme will become famous soon enough
Yeah, it needs a new gasket too!
Also while you are under there, check that the waterline hoses are not brittle or leaking. (on the bottom of the plenum)

Itsme
2000 X SE

V6 SE 4X4 5spd Build and 00 Silver auto SE 4X4http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26084

Raise TBs (X), paint plastics (X), Replace radiator with one that is bigger and will last (X), install roof lights (X), IAB (X), better tires (X), shackles in rear(X), remove rear sway bar (X), Bilsteins (X)
2000 4x4 Xterra
#5 Old 06-24-2011, 07:40 AM
TimRich
Spaz

2000 Xterra
TimRich has a spectacular aura about them TimRich has a spectacular aura about them TimRich has a spectacular aura about them
Nickolae, did you try tighting the screws on the valve cover? I thought mine were leaking too then I read somewhere that the scres that hold them on tend to come loose and cause leaking. I tightened mine down and no more leaking. I was suprised how loose the screws were when I tightened them up.

Tim... 2000 Xterra SE 4x4
Mods: K&N Air Filter, AC PML, 17" Pro Comp Wheels, 33" Wild Country MTX, Custom Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier, 2 inch BL, Hella 500FF's, AC Prerunner bumper, Xoskel light bar with 4 KC Daylighters, AC's IAB, Rancho RS5000 Shocks.
Official Build Thread
2000 Xterra
#6 Old 06-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Nickolae
Seasoned

2004 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRich View Post
Nickolae, did you try tighting the screws on the valve cover? I thought mine were leaking too then I read somewhere that the scres that hold them on tend to come loose and cause leaking. I tightened mine down and no more leaking. I was suprised how loose the screws were when I tightened them up.
Thanks Tim for mentioning the obvious. They were seriously loose. Saved me a ton of work so I got a chance to replace the horn I ruined at NXM and change the oil.

Sorry for the false alarm!

NXM 2011 Video
2004 Xterra
#7 Old 06-25-2011, 10:44 AM
emmdock
Addict

2002 Xterra
emmdock is on a distinguished road
The hardest part for me was the two short coolant hoses behind the intake plenum (near the firewall). Ended up cutting them off and replacing them. Should have started with that idea and would have saved an hour.

2002 Xterra XE 3.3 4x4 auto | JL 500/1v2 + 10W7 | Viper 5901 remote starter | Rear sway bar delete | Bilsteins all around | IAB | 2" DIY BL | KC HiLiTES on homemade roof bar | AC Shackles/PML | 33x12.5/15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar on Cragar Soft 8s | Skid Row skids | Yakima Loadwarrior | Beginning of a build thread

2002 Xterra
#8 Old 07-06-2011, 01:49 AM
Danny289

2000 Xterra
Danny289 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRich View Post
Same here! exactly my story 13 of 14 absulate loose!
2000 Xterra
#9 Old 07-06-2011, 07:04 AM
PhilKratz
Seasoned

2000 x Xterra
PhilKratz is on a distinguished road
same here man mine were loose not even hand tight! this should be stickied so more people check
theirs.

Sent from my iPhone
2000 x Xterra
#10 Old 12-25-2012, 12:18 AM
kms1990
Addict

2000 Xterra
kms1990 is on a distinguished road
almost all mine on passenger side were loose i can tell my valve cover gaskets have been replaced (at least the passenger side) because one of the screws on it was a bolt so they must have lost one screw while doing it.(hopefully they did drivers side and intake gaskets) but they were all loose except that bolt lol. and the ones i could get to on drivers side were all a little loose but i think the intake plenum keeps those tight. i have a small oil leak from what appears to be where the oil pan sits near the rear main seal/bell housing area and my mechanic diagnosed it as a rm seal leak but seeing as those screws were loose and i see a small amount of oil around rear of passenger side valve cover im leaning towards those screws being loose. we will see! wish me the best on it

MY BRIGHT AZZ LIGHTS!

MY STEREO BEATS EM ALL!
My Laundry List
LIFT()
MUD TIRES()
DROP IN K&N FILTER(X)
UPGRADE STEREO(X)
RESTORE BUMPERS(X)
HID AND PIAA FOGS(X)
FIX UP HEADLINER()
WINCH()
MUFFLER UPGRADE()
2000 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.