Tie rod end gouging into tire weights and rim - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 12-24-2012, 07:23 AM
CISO1969
Maul Crawler

2003 Xterra
CISO1969 is on a distinguished road
Tie rod end gouging into tire weights and rim

New tie rod ends, checked against the old and almsot identical. Have tires balanced with weights on inside last 3 years have gone theough several rotations with no issue.

Last time i had it aligned I had put new TRE's on it. They also did more things with camber bolts etc. When I put new tra's in a few days ago and had left the tie rods unadjusted- i didnt get the grinding when I turned it full turn toward the left, that I got after last alignment and that I have now.

So is this a case of "try a different tie rod end" (i think its same as I took off) or something was moved or adjusted that made the tie rod end get so close to rim?

I dont want to grind it, I dont want to experiment buying 4 or 5 brands of tie rod ends, I really think something was moved that shouldnt have been or was overcompensated for. Any ideas?

Also this place that does my alignments sucks balls. The guys are nice enough but the techs they put on alignment dont seem like they know or care how to do them. This time the guy lost my locking lug key from Nissan --but since he was also a Nissan tech or former Nissan tech gave me his aftermarket key, part of a set he had , that matched my locking lug pattern...it works but wtf?

Also they cant seem to get the specs same as what is shown on the board posts for alignments. did they miss the class about loosening everything back to zero or not adjusted state then working each piece as needed? I mean the camber bolts are only two years old and tie rods are new (tre's and tra)

So whats the disconnect? do they need to reindex the camber bolts (ie loosen em all the way and start again. I dunno, seems like they are having way more issues than they should...oh and Truck pulls to the left after the alignment grrrrr

2003 Nissan Silver Ice 4 WD Fleet Vehicle
3 " Suspension lift, Calmini Steering, Bilsteins, 2 " body lift, Alcan rear leaf springs, Hefty Fabworks front bumper, Shrockworks sliders and rear bumper, Skid row skids, Volant CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, UB Skidderz, Sway Away torsion bars, BFG AT 33" tires on Desert Runner rims

Last edited by CISO1969; 12-24-2012 at 08:19 AM.
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Xterra Mike
Silver Submarine

2001 SE Xterra
Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Ive had my weights hit my UCA's but not my TRE's. Go back and check everything again. Something might be loose and they didn't tighten it back up. Take it back and tell them its pulling. It shouldn't pull after an alignment.
2001 SE Xterra
#3 Old 12-24-2012, 01:37 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
The problem with people doing alignments these days isnt so much their work being poor, but the machines they are using not giving them enough info. I have a friend that used to work at sears, and the machines they use there dont actually show them any numbers while they are doing the work. They put in what kind of vehicle they are working on and the computer shows red or green while they are doing the alignment. they keep going until everything is green. After they are done, the computer sends a print out to the front desk showing the actual numbers of what was called for, what was achieved and how far each adjustment is out. I still take my truck there because there is a guy that works there that has been doing alignments for years and can get it pretty close to what I want, but he has to mess with it a bit to get it to the numbers I need and ignore what the computer is calling for. These computers would be nice if you could plug in custom alignment settings but apparently unless they have an old machine where you do it all off numbers its more or less a matter of experience and messing around till its right.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#4 Old 12-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Itsme
Phreak

2000 4x4 Xterra
Itsme will become famous soon enough Itsme will become famous soon enough
The problem may be loose wheel bearings, or shot ones. I can not imagine a front end shop trying to do an alignment with bad/loose bearings, but there are very few good alignment shops out there.
Check the bearings!

Itsme
2000 X SE

V6 SE 4X4 5spd Build and 00 Silver auto SE 4X4http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26084

Raise TBs (X), paint plastics (X), Replace radiator with one that is bigger and will last (X), install roof lights (X), IAB (X), better tires (X), shackles in rear(X), remove rear sway bar (X), Bilsteins (X)
2000 4x4 Xterra
#5 Old 12-28-2012, 01:12 PM
CISO1969
Maul Crawler

2003 Xterra
Thanks all Ill keep looking and trying to figue it out. Anyone kno w a shop that does a real alignment in Exton-West Chester area?

CISO

3 " Suspension lift, Calmini Steering, Bilsteins, 2 " body lift, Alcan rear leaf springs, Hefty Fabworks front bumper, Shrockworks sliders and rear bumper, Skid row skids, Volant CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, UB Skidderz, Sway Away torsion bars, BFG AT 33" tires on Desert Runner rims
2003 Xterra
#6 Old 01-10-2013, 06:36 AM
CISO1969
Maul Crawler

2003 Xterra
update: Why they suck a$$:

On the trails at Rausch and notioce the nut that tightens against the inner tie rod end on the passenger side is backed all the way out tight agianst the TRA....a few moments of lying in the the wet snow with a 22mm, 19mm and 21mm wrench and it's tightened, but I must have riddden close to two weeks like that plus at least one trail at that point. I am praying ity didn't ruin anything. Stupid F***ktards GRRRRR

2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.