Winter/Snow/Slush Driving Suggestions? - Page 2 - Nissan Xterra Forum

#11 Old 12-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Xmarksthespot
Noob

None yet Xterra
Xmarksthespot is on a distinguished road
Great. So it sounds like most of us X owners don't need to drive around in 4H under normal wintery conditions like you would if you owned an Outback, correct? I'll be hitting the parking lot as soon as it snows. Been driving FWD cars in the snow for the past 30 years, so I hope I'll pick up the learning curve quickly. Thanks for the advice!
None yet Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
Not sure if you have played around with 4wd yet, but one other thing to note is that when 4wd is engaged your turning radius is greatly diminished. I would say it more or less doubles. And if you are on dry pavement or even is fairly dry snow with 4wd engaged the front end will kind of hop a little if you try making too tight of a turn.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#13 Old 12-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Xmarksthespot
Noob

None yet Xterra
Xmarksthespot is on a distinguished road
I have played around with it a bit, but I haven't truly been "off-road" yet. Any experimenting has been on dirt roads, etc and I have noticed it hop a little because even dry dirt probably provides too much grip for 4WD. But I'm careful not to do that often at all so as to not damage my driveline. Saving the 4WD for when I really want/need it. Hope to get off-road in the spring with a buddy of mine who just bought an '08 X Off-Road.
None yet Xterra
#14 Old 12-13-2012, 04:09 PM
NoWhining
Veteran

2003 Xterra
NoWhining is on a distinguished road
Definitely get some practice in at the first snow. I got my X to get back and forth to a cabin where we routinely see 30 feet plus of snow a year. Only got stuck for a few minutes once where I tried to "make" a parking space out of a mound of snow so I could get some first powder turns in. That brings me to my second recommendation, bring a shovel: It's most likely all you'll need if you get a little stuck.

When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Ski There Too!!
2003 Xterra
#15 Old 12-13-2012, 04:15 PM
thatguybme
Seasoned

2012 Xterra
thatguybme is on a distinguished road
Just a word of caution - Cant remember when it was enacted, but I remember talking to an LEO about it when it passed - here in Virginia a few years back they passed some law about giving LEO the ability to give tickets improper driving/wreckless driving on parking lots for crazy driving - IE - if you are doing doughnuts in the closed mall parking lot playing around you could possibly get a ticket.. also if you cut across a parking lot (instead of doing down the aisles) was also ticketable..

brian
2012 Xterra
#16 Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Mathster
Veteran

2001&2006 Xterra
Mathster is on a distinguished road
I kinda miss my Isuzu Trooper when its snowy.
1. the torque on demand put a bit of delay between the rear breaking loose and the front locking up. 4wd donuts.
2. the winter button made the transmission start in 3rd. take it easy and never break loose.

For me, I dont use 4wd in the snow. I prefer the feel of when Im breaking loose and know when to back off. If Im having issue taking off, then grab 4wd.
Like others said, 4wd will get you going, but you gotta stop. give yourself an extra couple cars lengths to get stopped. ABS will activate, just watch for 4 wheel sliding. ABS can be fooled by all four tires stopped.
2001&2006 Xterra
#17 Old 12-13-2012, 08:15 PM
xtacular
Spaz

2002 Xterra
xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough
To echo what others said... 4wd will do nothing to help you stop or corner. I've been driving in the snow for a decade and this happened last winter. There was less than an inch of snow- it just happened to be a lot slicker than it looked. I was obviously going too fast for conditions, but it's that initial assessment of those conditions that will make or break you- so judge conservatively. I am able to plow through a foot of snow with no issues...

2002 Super Black 5 Speed 4x4
AC Shackles/UCAs, 2" BL, 33x10.5" BFG ATs on Desert Runners, ARB front bumper, Skid Row rear bumper, Calmini IAB, AC HD TRAs, Bandit 4x4 idler arm bushings, Bilsteins, K&N CAI, Magnaflow muffler, Doug Thorley Headers, some audio stuff, backup camera.
Shovel Mount
2002 Xterra
#18 Old 12-13-2012, 08:36 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtacular View Post

This pic still makes me go......

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.