Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2004 Xterra
SamsXE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow3r View Post
That stuff looks like dynamat or fatmat, what if you just sprayed the top side with that expanding insulation foam stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
That would be such a terrible idea... Since that stuff is not heat resistant and will smolder. Not sure if it will actually catch on fire.

That DEI material would be a great solution! ITs lightweight and can be easily applied. I would think about adding some metal stringers along the length of the skids to help with strength and rigidity.
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 12-11-2012, 12:52 PM
pow3r

2004 Xterra
pow3r is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=SamsXE;518584]That would be such a terrible idea... Since that stuff is not heat resistant and will smolder. Not sure if it will actually catch on fire.

Ok, I had no idea what it was made of, just throwin out ideas that were in my head

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
2004 Xterra
post #33 of 37 Old 12-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Drew7997
Veteran

2001 XE V6 Xterra
Drew7997 is on a distinguished road
What about the expanding foam for fireplaces?
Or why not wrap the exhaust with the insulation mats for that particular run? The aluminimun wrap stuff.

My X
2001 XE V6 Xterra
post #34 of 37 Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Xterranean
Seasoned

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
2003 Xterra
Xterranean is on a distinguished road
Any updates on the HDPE skid idea? Obviously heat and durability are issues, but has anybody else tried it? Seems like an ideal way to save money and cut down on weight.
2003 Xterra
post #35 of 37 Old 02-05-2014, 06:04 PM
Xterra Mike
Silver Submarine

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2001 SE Xterra
Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Its a great substitute for steel if you can't afford the price of the skids. I used 3/8" but i recommend 1/2" or better. I wheeled for years with HDPE with no damage to my t-case at all.

2001 SE Xterra
post #36 of 37 Old 02-06-2014, 09:31 AM
Xterranean
Seasoned

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
2003 Xterra
Xterranean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xterra Mike View Post
Its a great substitute for steel if you can't afford the price of the skids. I used 3/8" but i recommend 1/2" or better. I wheeled for years with HDPE with no damage to my t-case at all.

Looks great.

Any drilling involved? Obviously I'd like to make use of the factory threads whenever possible. Did you have to fab any additional support braces?

I think my plan is to get a Shrockworks bumper with front skid (most important, in my opinion), and then use the HDPE on the T-case and transmission. The factory gas skid plate looks decent enough that I don't have to replace it.
2003 Xterra
post #37 of 37 Old 02-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Xterra Mike
Silver Submarine

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2001 SE Xterra
Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xterranean View Post
Looks great.

Any drilling involved? Obviously I'd like to make use of the factory threads whenever possible. Did you have to fab any additional support braces?

I think my plan is to get a Shrockworks bumper with front skid (most important, in my opinion), and then use the HDPE on the T-case and transmission. The factory gas skid plate looks decent enough that I don't have to replace it.
You will have to drill through the cross members for the t-case and trans.
2001 SE Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.