RUST any suggestions - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 10-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Beachmaverick82

2003 Xterra
Beachmaverick82 is on a distinguished road
RUST any suggestions

ive become the new owner of and 03 silver X and everything is pristine EXCEPT the back bumper has a few rust spots and rust around the license plate light fixtures. Have any of you guys ran into this problem? and if so what have you done to touch it up? any suggestions are welcomed thanks guys
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-28-2012, 05:41 PM
cbxterra
Veteran

2000 Xterra
cbxterra is on a distinguished road
One idea-try hand sand with 200 then 400 then 600 grit paper to get it smooth and shiny. Then rattle can on a good rust primer. then spray. Do it on a dry day, don't leave it bare [it'll rust again] If you've never done it before get an old bumper at the junk yard for practice. Suspect there's other ideas too. If you've got access to a sprayer it does a better job than cans but is harder to learn.
2000 Xterra
#3 Old 10-28-2012, 06:14 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync will become famous soon enough robcarync will become famous soon enough
Garage
I would probably just replace the rear bumper if its really bad and if you really want to fix it...it is easy to disassemble and you get a brand new one on ebay for ~100 bucks

If it is relatively minor, you can dremel it with a grinder wheel and spray paint it...

Many people repaint all of their plastic trim and bumpers because they usually are very faded and dull gray. I used rustoleum bedliner on mine.

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
#4 Old 10-28-2012, 08:43 PM
jnuke79
Seasoned

2004 Xterra
jnuke79 is on a distinguished road
I think you'll find on eBay there are aftermarket wholesale parts places that sell OEM parts wicked cheap! I ended up buying my front end parts less than my wholesale discount at Nissan! Best part is that I didn't need to paint! lol
2004 Xterra
#5 Old 10-29-2012, 08:35 AM
SamsXE
Veteran

2004 Xterra
SamsXE is on a distinguished road
Check my build thread. If it isnt rusted all the way through and you just have surface rust, I would just hit it with a grider or a bristle brush on your power-drill until all the rust is gone. Then spray it with RUST CONVERTER and then use bedliner. Make sure you leave enough time for the 2 coats to dry.

I honestly think there is more to be said for fixing something with your own handy work rather than just buying a new part, especially when there is nothing mechanically wrong with your current one. Now if its rusted in half...thats a different story!
2004 Xterra
#6 Old 10-29-2012, 11:23 AM
BluesquidNY
Noob

2005 Xterra
BluesquidNY is on a distinguished road
I had some minor rust spots around my back plate. I hit them with sandpaper untill all the rust was gone, and then put about 8 coats of plasti dip on. Looks good flat black.

If it were any worse, I was gonna buy a whole new bumper. So dang cheap.

Last edited by BluesquidNY; 10-29-2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: I had mistakenly added a 5 before the 8.
2005 Xterra
#7 Old 12-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Stogilon
Noob

2006 Xterra
Stogilon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsXE View Post
Check my build thread. If it isnt rusted all the way through and you just have surface rust, I would just hit it with a grider or a bristle brush on your power-drill until all the rust is gone. Then spray it with RUST CONVERTER and then use bedliner. Make sure you leave enough time for the 2 coats to dry.

I honestly think there is more to be said for fixing something with your own handy work rather than just buying a new part, especially when there is nothing mechanically wrong with your current one. Now if its rusted in half...thats a different story!
Hi Sam,
Checked your build thread, thanks for posting. I'm about to do the same to my 2006 X but I'm not sure how to remove the rear bumper. Do you have more details on how to do that?
Thanks!
2006 Xterra

Tags
paint , repair , rust , wash , xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.