Wheel Center Cap Aggravation - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 12-03-2012, 01:41 PM
DCraig
Noob

2003 Xterra
DCraig is on a distinguished road
Wheel Center Cap Aggravation

Have a 03 2-wheel drive and the center caps are loose enough that they could fall off. I purchased new caps from Auto Part Pro that fit as loose as the original caps. Can the original caps be modified to work? The round spring and plastice tabs are still in place on all the caps, they just don't fit tight. I can wiggle all four caps about a 1/4" in all direction and have tried the caps on all four wheels to see if the fit is better on one than the other. Please help me.
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Weird mine require a screwdriver to get off because they fit so tight. Dumb question but are you lining them up correctly? Post a pic of them installed and a pic of the back of the cap.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#3 Old 12-12-2012, 08:40 PM
DCraig
Noob

2003 Xterra
Center cap issues

I have attached a picture of the issue....one even fell off today, never to be seen again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	9217  
2003 Xterra
#4 Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Well they are aligned correctly, is the spring ring on the inside of the fingers or the outside? Should be like this.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#5 Old 12-13-2012, 07:09 AM
DCraig
Noob

2003 Xterra
I appreciate the response. Yes sir, all in the correct location and the cap goes in somewhat tight, but once they get beyond the tabs the caps are loose. I tried an experiment and taped about an 1/8" plastic tab on the outter edge of the cap between each lug nut indention, just outside each tab. The cap went on and was tight. It seems that the cap go into the wheel too far and is loose. I assumed the new ones ordered would fit, but still the issue.
2003 Xterra
#6 Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 AM
iwashmycar
Addict

2003 Xterra
iwashmycar is on a distinguished road
Yeah those stock caps kind of suck. I ended up modifying and putting on some extra FJ ones I had... Still have not found any good Nissan logos to put over the TRD.

Maybe put some dabs of silicone where they hook on and let dry. then if you ever need to pull em off just break the little beads of silicone.

-Adam

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 2WD AT

2007 (O|TOYOTA|O) FJ Cruiser 4WD AT

Last edited by iwashmycar; 12-13-2012 at 08:26 AM.
2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.