Rattling noise coming from engine/distributor - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-30-2012, 05:00 AM
Rocco888
Noob

2001 Xterra
Rocco888 is on a distinguished road
Rattling noise coming from engine/distributor

I have a 2001 Xterra with rattling noise coming from the distributor area. Thought I just needed new distributor replaced but just had good mechanic look at it and take it apart. He said distributor was fine and said rattling noise is below it and would need to take some stuff apart to find the real problem. He mentioned possible timing belt, water pump problem but could be anything without looking. The car has 88,000 miles on it. We are 2nd owner got it around 58K miles and did tune about 3 years ago so thats been not done for financial issues, car runs really good though but this rattling noise when accelerating in 1 & 2nd gear for few secs then goes away is really annoying. Any suggestions to what this may be?

Thanks,

Jason
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-30-2012, 08:05 PM
03xterrra
Noob

03 Xterra
03xterrra is on a distinguished road
Could be the heat shield. Noise occurs at 2000rpm for a few seconds then disappears. http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28111
03 Xterra
#3 Old 01-30-2012, 10:07 PM
xtacular
Spaz

2002 Xterra
xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough
Yep if it happens at a certain rpm it is likely a heat shield on the exhaust. Very common problem. And cheap! Once you figure out which shield it is, either cut it off or clamp it down with a hose clamp, dealer's choice. If you can't narrow it down by feeling around, lay under it while a buddy/wife revs it and listen for where it is coming from.

2002 Super Black 5 Speed 4x4
Lift/Suspension: AC Shackles and UCAs, Extended Bilsteins, 2" BL
Armor: front ARB Bumper, rear Skid Row bumper with custom tire carrier
Steering: Bandit 4x4 idler arm bushings, AC HD TRAs, Calmini IAB; Moog TREs and 555 centerlink
Wheels/Tires: 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, desert runner wheels
Performance: K&N intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler
Electronics: backup camera, Pioneer head unit, JBL 770w amp, JL Audio 12" W0, rear Sony Xplods
2002 Xterra
#4 Old 02-01-2012, 01:10 AM
Rocco888
Noob

2001 Xterra
Rocco888 is on a distinguished road
Rattling noise coming from engine/distributor

Thanks for the very helpful responses guys. The thing about Noise occurs at 2000rpm for a few seconds then disappears sounds right on. But the noise from the heat shield issue would only be coming from under the car or near the back by the exhaust? The rattling noise I been hearing is coming mainly from the engine/distributor area. Even when your standing by the hood while its idling you can hear the faint gargling/ratting noise in that area. I will definitely check out this heat shield stuff tomorrow though.

Thanks again,

Jason
2001 Xterra
#5 Old 02-05-2012, 10:14 PM
CentralOregon

CentralOregon is on a distinguished road
today, i took apart the dist. after reading on how the bearing can go bad. so i went ahead and did the screw driver to ear test and made sure that the rattling noise i was hearing was definitely coming from the dist. i took it apart piece by piece while it was still mounted to the engine. got all the way down to the bearing and saw that it was a little rusty and getting old. so tomorrow i am going to see where i can order a new bearing. also make sure you know exactly what position the rotor is in and make sure to put it back exactly any q's let me know as well as any suggestions...

cheers from central oregon!
#6 Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 AM
dymond

2004 Xterra
dymond is on a distinguished road
how didi new bearing do for you? i have that same gurgling sound. tapping as I accellerate mostly and smooths out while driving. tryin to figure out.
2004 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.