Harmonic Balancer Replacement?? - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 12-08-2012, 02:44 PM
lburgguy
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
lburgguy is on a distinguished road
Harmonic Balancer Replacement??

02 Xterra with 2.4L inline 4.

I have a bad harmonic balancer. I can verify it by watching it wobble around with the engine at idle - not to mention the God-awful sound it's making. I drove with it like this for 100 miles today but I think the noise/vibration only kicked in at idle.

Question: I'm a fairly competent guy, can I do this repair myself? Do I need to pull the radiator to give me that much more room to work with? Can I drive it to a shop like ten miles away without damaging the engine if need be?

Any comments would be appreciated. You know, it doesn't seem that dificult on the face of it, just that there may be things I haven't thought of because I've never done this repair before. Actually, I didn't even know much about a harmonic balancer before today. Thanks a lot guys!!
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-08-2012, 03:17 PM
muadeeb
Banned

2001 Xterra
muadeeb will become famous soon enough
Can you do it? Yes you can! The FSM does call for the radiator to be removed. Read up on the procedure in the FSM here: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/xterra/2...em.pdf#page=21

On a side: have someone push the clutch in and out and see if the pulley moves too. If it does, the thrust bearings in the bottom of the engine may be bad.

Last edited by muadeeb; 12-08-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: fixed bearing name
2001 Xterra
#3 Old 12-08-2012, 04:05 PM
lburgguy
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
What the heck are the locator bearings? Never heard of these before. I'm not exactly a big Nissan fan these days, I swear my Mazdas never let me down like this truck. (Don't hate me for saying that).
2002 Xterra
#4 Old 12-08-2012, 05:17 PM
muadeeb
Banned

2001 Xterra
Sorry, wrong name. "Thrust Bearings" are what I was thinking of; they locate the crank shaft in the proper position in the block.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdl7texNgBk
2001 Xterra
#5 Old 12-09-2012, 09:01 AM
lburgguy
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
I still have a question or two.

1. Do you think I can remove this without removing the radiator? I mean I have a few inches forward of the pulley to work with. Has anyone done it this way?

2. I had my front seal replaced last year and the balancer (pulley) was removed at that time and I was told it would need to replaced soon. I should have done it then but does it being removed only a year ago indicate it may be easy for me to remove now?

3. If I do this myself, I've never used a pulley puller before. Apparently there are two types? Which if any would I need? Maybe it would be loose enough to pop off with a strategically placed screwdriver??

I guess I'm looking for advice about this whole thing and I hate that I only have limited time and limited experience in fixing this.

Thanks for any input!!
2002 Xterra
#6 Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 PM
muadeeb
Banned

2001 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by lburgguy View Post
I still have a question or two.

1. Do you think I can remove this without removing the radiator? I mean I have a few inches forward of the pulley to work with. Has anyone done it this way?
Can you? Maybe but it's only about $20 of fluid. You'll want to get an impact wrench on the crank bolt, and you'll probably need the extra room.
Quote:
2. I had my front seal replaced last year and the balancer (pulley) was removed at that time and I was told it would need to replaced soon. I should have done it then but does it being removed only a year ago indicate it may be easy for me to remove now?
Likely easier than if it was 10 years old, but you'll still need the puller
Quote:
3. If I do this myself, I've never used a pulley puller before. Apparently there are two types? Which if any would I need? Maybe it would be loose enough to pop off with a strategically placed screwdriver??
You'll need a puller; a screwdriver could damage the timing chain cover, leading to contact with or damaging the timing chain. The FSM shows a two-jaw puller, but the VG33 needs a harmonic puller. I'd be prepared with both, but someone who's dealt with a KA24 will know better.
Quote:
I guess I'm looking for advice about this whole thing and I hate that I only have limited time and limited experience in fixing this.

Thanks for any input!!
2001 Xterra
#7 Old 12-10-2012, 05:55 AM
lburgguy
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
Thanks Muadeeb. I'll report back what happens. Really appreciate your time.
2002 Xterra
#8 Old 12-10-2012, 07:16 AM
lburgguy
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
Wow this is a hard part to find. Dealer is my only option I can find and they want $300!! Crazy!
2002 Xterra
#9 Old 10-17-2013, 11:53 AM
kjwwest90

kjwwest90 is on a distinguished road
So if one were to use a jaw puller instead of the harmonic balancer tool and broke two small sections of the pulley off... would this be a bad thing. just wondering if i should pay the $250 for the new one or just run it with the original. any help would be awesome thanks.
#10 Old 10-17-2013, 12:02 PM
lburgguy
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
FWIW I bought and had installed a balancer from here:

http://www.japanesetruckdismantling.net/Default.asp

and it has been just fine for a year. It's going for $90 now I paid $130. It's not genuine OEM but it is a quality piece I can vouch for that.
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.