New guy needs help narrowed to a 2012 Xterra or Jeep WR Unlim Sahara - Nissan Xterra Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
shikano53
Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2012 Xterra
shikano53 is on a distinguished road
New guy looking at a new 2012 Xterra with a question

Hi everyone,
I am looking at a new 2012 Xterra SV. I want it mostly I use my vehicle for some off road activity but also for commuting between Red Deer and Calgary here in Central Alberta. My question to you owners is how does it lock into 4 hi on the highway and can anyone comment on driving it during winter conditions on paved roads. My worry is that it won't be good for commuting because you can't drive it on pavement for long periods of time IE, 150 kilometers.

Thanks in advance for any comments

Kind regards
Chris in RD, AB

Last edited by shikano53; 12-04-2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: To rephrase
2012 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 05:40 PM
thatguybme
Seasoned

2012 Xterra
thatguybme is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikano53 View Post
Hi everyone,
I am looking at a new 2012 Xterra SV. I want it mostly I use my vehicle for some off road activity but also for commuting between Red Deer and Calgary here in Central Alberta. My question to you owners is how does it lock into 4 hi on the highway and can anyone comment on driving it during winter conditions on paved roads. My worry is that it won't be good for commuting because you can't drive it on pavement for long periods of time IE, 150 kilometers.

Thanks in advance for any comments

Kind regards
Chris in RD, AB
you would NOT want to drive either on dry, paved roads for any length of time - the front wheels need to 'slip' otherwise the drive train will become the weak link and something will break. The Xterra is rated for like 55 MPH in 4h on 'snow covered roads' - i bet the jeep is rated similarly.

In/out of 4H is by just turning the knob on the dash.. Lock up in 4h is quick, coming back out can take a little bit (the indicator light will blink until it comes back out of 4h)..
2012 Xterra
post #3 of 6 Old 12-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Sarie

2012 Xterra
Sarie is on a distinguished road
I have a 2012 SV and I drive from South Calgary all the way up to the airport everyday (about 35km on Deerfoot) Right after a snow fall the roads have been really slick but I haven't had any trouble in 2wd

I do NOT use the 4h on the highway unless the roads are covered in snow but have not had any problems in 2wd. Switching into 4h is easy and you can do it while driving (I assume you probably knew that though)

One thing I'm having to get used to is handling corners with the X, I came from a Altima Coupe which hugged the roads, the Xterra obviously isnt meant for that so something to be wary of.
2012 Xterra
post #4 of 6 Old 12-08-2012, 12:39 PM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
ShiftingSkys will become famous soon enough
Most SUV's do not allow you to use it above 55MPH as that is not what it was designed for. You will be surprised at what the X can do especially with the right tires.

2002 Nissan Xterra

Lifted and Ready to Roll!

Build Thread-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38877
2002 Xterra
post #5 of 6 Old 12-10-2012, 06:41 AM
Julionix
Seasoned

97 LX450 Xterra
Julionix is on a distinguished road
Welcome from Vancouver, BC!

I'd vote X (my decision may be bias :-)
I agree with the above statements about driving on 4H. The most important thing is to drive safe and get good winter tires.
If you plan on off-roading you may want to consider getting the Pro4X model instead.
Good luck and keep us posted.

You'll fall for everything,
If you don't stand for something!
97 LX450 Xterra
post #6 of 6 Old 12-10-2012, 04:48 PM
xterranewf

2003 Xterra
xterranewf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftingSkys View Post
Most SUV's do not allow you to use it above 55MPH as that is not what it was designed for. You will be surprised at what the X can do especially with the right tires.
Hey ShiftingSkys
Im having a bit of a dilema about getting a good set of tires for this winter. This is my first winter driving an Xterra. Right now im running 265 70R 15. Personally I think these tires are too wide especially in slushy conditions. What is the narrowest tire that I can us without changing rims
Xterranewf
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.