Early 2G issues, complaints, differences? - Nissan Xterra Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
PaulsX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2000 XE V6 Xterra
PaulsX is on a distinguished road
Early 2G issues, complaints, differences?

I'm sure that this has been asked a few dozen times, and my fairly abbreviated search yielded little of personal use.

I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of my 2000 for something a bit newer, but don't want to go full blown with a new X. I've been looking at 05 and 06 4WD's specifically since they seem to have a few hp more than the 07+'s. (And they're more in the ballpark of what I'm looking to spend!) I may expand my search to 07~09's, but really don't want anything much newer than that.

- Big question, is the 6spd's towing capacity less than the AT like it is with the 1G's, or does it remain 5k across the board regardless of trans selection? I haven't been able to find anything definitive anywhere. My 00 is an AT, but if the towing capacity is the same across the board, I would prefer a 6 spd.

- Aside from the 05's AT cooler issue, what are some known issues to be on the lookout on the 05-06's?

- As far as maintenance, I've seen that the 2G's have a 100k mile timing chain service. Other than that, I'm assuming that it's basic stuff and upkeep.

The next X that I buy will be my primary DD as well as occasionally towing and some light wheeling. Basically, the exact stuff that my present X enables me to do.

My X currently has only 129k trouble free miles on it, so I'm not too afraid of buying a higher mileage 05~06, but am looking to cap it at around 85k. Seems like the majority of them for sale around here are at 65~95k miles.

When looking at higher mileage X's, are there some areas of concern that I should be looking, or any specific trouble areas as they get up in miles? (aside from the standard mileage related things?)

Thanks for any input guys, I'm really looking forward to driving something a bit newer!

Paul
00 Xterra -127,xxx miles young
99 Miata Sport
08 Expedition EL -18' of gas guzzling fury
97 Eclipse GS-T - Jack stand queen for 6 years and counting. She FINALLY RUNS!!
2000 XE V6 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 09:51 AM
ImageOmega
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
ImageOmega is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsX View Post
I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of my 2000..... The next X that I buy will be my primary DD as well as occasionally towing and some light wheeling. Basically, the exact stuff that my present X enables me to do..... My X currently has only 129k trouble free miles on it..... buying a higher mileage 05~06
Are you sure you want a new one?
2003 Xterra
post #3 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 01:36 PM
muadeeb
Banned

2001 Xterra
muadeeb will become famous soon enough
If it runs fine, and you don't mind doing a little work occasionally, just put a hundred or so aside a month as a repair budget. If you don't need it, great; build it up until you need that $500 A/C service. Several of us on here have G1s over 200K. I'm over 204K myself and it still runs fine.
2001 Xterra
post #4 of 6 Old 12-07-2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
PaulsX

2000 XE V6 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by muadeeb View Post
... If you don't need it, great; build it up until you need that $500 A/C service. Several of us on here have G1s over 200K. I'm over 204K myself and it still runs fine.
As an update, I decided to keep my 1G and drive it till the wheels fall off. As with every previous Nissan/Datsun that I have owned, the reliability continues to be amazing, and after quite a bit of thought, I decided that owning a newer vehicle wasn't as important as owning one that has a known service history. (I've had mine since practically new..)

Muadeeb, funny that you should mention the A/C service. About a month ago, right before I left for deployment, the A/C took a dump and now I need to replace the hi-side pressure line when I return.

I'm really not complaining though since the last time the truck required any sort of A/C service was back in 2005.

Paul
99 Miata Sport
2000 XE V6 Xterra
post #5 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 06:40 PM
abmobil

abmobil is on a distinguished road
129k on a first gen is NOTHING. My dads 01 Supercharged Frontier has 250k ,and the engine ,and trans show no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

I just traded my 04 Frontier for a 12 Frontier. I hope the 12 is as good as my dads 01 has been.

2012 Frontier CC SV 6MT
95 Hardbody V6 2wd 5MT
93 Hardbody
post #6 of 6 Old 12-10-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
PaulsX

2000 XE V6 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by abmobil View Post
129k on a first gen is NOTHING.
I know, and judging by the way that mine runs, it will see MANY more miles. This is my 5th or 6th Nissan, and I've yet to have one that has seen less than 200k. One of my favorites was a 94 Sentra that I bought brand new.

When I finally decided to sell it in 01, it had well over 300k miles on it and ran like the day that I bought it. I made a decision a long time ago that there would always be at least one Nissan in the household due to their reliability.

Paul
99 Miata Sport
2000 XE V6 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.