Schrockworks Crash Pics - Page 4 - Nissan Xterra Forum

#31 Old 02-16-2009, 09:59 AM
skoobysx
*Channylicious*

2004 Xterra
skoobysx will become famous soon enough skoobysx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomni View Post
Those bumpers are strong but I don't think they should be street legal....might as well put long metal spikes on the front, they defeat the purpose of todays bumpers that absorb momemtum and kinetic energy..that is to say I would definitely want one!! lol

?!?!?!? Thats why insurance is offered... just because some people have a bad ass off road bumper you think it shouldnt be steet legal?? Sorry to say, everyone has an option to get one, just because they choose not to dosnt mean they need to be illegal. If they wanna cruise around in their prius, then just watch out for the bad ass Xterra coming at ya. Like that picture said, the driver of that Xterra was SITTING! The pontiac hit HIM, so he shouldnt have the right to protect his vehicle???? Im sorry but I dont agree. I want to be the smart one that saves my ass and my vehicle in a crash..........

P.S. If I had an ARB/Shrocks bumper on Skooby, he would still be with us to this day!! Miss ya big guy!

Id much rather have my vehicle looking like this:

Rather than this!!!!

Chantale
------------------------------

The New Skooby 2

Last edited by skoobysx; 02-16-2009 at 10:05 AM.
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 02-16-2009, 10:45 AM
tameroflions
dannypoo

01 Xterra
tameroflions is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobysx View Post
?!?!?!? Thats why insurance is offered... just because some people have a bad ass off road bumper you think it shouldnt be steet legal?? Sorry to say, everyone has an option to get one, just because they choose not to dosnt mean they need to be illegal. If they wanna cruise around in their prius, then just watch out for the bad ass Xterra coming at ya. Like that picture said, the driver of that Xterra was SITTING! The pontiac hit HIM, so he shouldnt have the right to protect his vehicle???? Im sorry but I dont agree. I want to be the smart one that saves my ass and my vehicle in a crash..........

P.S. If I had an ARB/Shrocks bumper on Skooby, he would still be with us to this day!! Miss ya big guy!

Id much rather have my vehicle looking like this:

Rather than this!!!!

bomni=pwned

Daniel
01 black X
lots of mods
^SOLD
03 WRX
lots of mods
^totalled
97 Jeep wrangler outback TJ
lots of mods
^traded for v
2000 'cheerleader yellow' X
quite a few mods. more to come.

build thread:
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17311
01 Xterra
#33 Old 02-18-2009, 01:12 PM
IsaacF

2009 Xterra
IsaacF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fzzt View Post
In the 2nd link the poster states he hit at around 30mph and the airbags did not go off. That's worrisome though he was probably going slower but I wonder just how big of a hit it would take to fire off his bags.

I think that's one of the things I like about the ARB's is that they are designed with the airbags in mind.
Yeah, I'm with you, Fzzt. Thats the one thing that scares me about these big bumpers (don't get me wrong, I love the way they look and preform offroad). The problem with an accident is that there is a huge amount of kinetic energy that needs to be dissipated in a very short time, regardless of what kind of car/bumper you have. when crumple zones 'crumple' what they do is absorb that energy and allow the accident to happen over a longer period of time ((∆V/∆T=∆A))the change in velocity takes more time to get to 0 mph, thus the maximum deceleration is less, thus you likely come out less injured). If there is no 'crumple effect' (or if it is greatly reduced) the maximum deceleration force would be much greater.

Its kind of like slamming your head into a brick wall. If you're going to do it, would you rather have a 3" thick steel plate between you and the wall, or a 3" thick piece of foam? The foam because it slows the impact, and your head decelerates slower = less of a headache later.

And if the shrocks (or any other bumper) interfere with the airbag sensors, then they are doubly dangerous: Not only do they increase (compared to a crumple bumper) the effective severity of the impact by not 'crumpling' but in addition, you won't have the cushion of the airbag. Sounds like something I'd want to investigate more before I pay $$$$ to be less safe. Granted, this is only if you are going to be using the X as a DD.

I mean i guess it boils down to protecting the vehicle or protecting the passengers. I'd rather have the vehicle totalled than the passengers totalled. Everything but human life is replaceable. THATS what insurance is for IMHO.

Sorry to rant, just something to gnaw on

Isaac

2009 Xterra OR - black
•Tow Package
•Tech Package
2000 Excursion - green (6.8L V10 4x4 with 4.30's)(tow rig)
2007 Toyota Prius - grey (1.5L I4) (mom's ride)
2007 Toyota Prius - black (1.5L I4) (sister's ride)
2003 KTM 125 SX
2003 KTM 200 MXC
2005 Honda Rancher
7x16 enlcosed trailer - for the offroad goodies

Last edited by IsaacF; 02-18-2009 at 01:14 PM.
2009 Xterra
#34 Old 02-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Drake
Club Xterra O.G.

2004 Xterra
Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold
Not to dispute what you say because you are absolutely correct Isaac but here's another more severe wreck with an xterra that has a shrockworks bumper. This was a head-on collision where both vehicles were traveling at 65 to 70 mph. The driver of the xterra walked away with a few bad cuts on his arm that required stitches.

The X:

What he hit:

Oh and Shrockworks designs his bumpers to be compatible with the airbag sensors as well. You can see that his deployed in his X when he hit the Ford.

2004 Silver Ice SE S/C (leather package)
Drake's Build Thread

Last edited by Drake; 02-18-2009 at 02:11 PM.
2004 Xterra
#35 Old 02-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Roryo513
Veteran

2004 Xterra
Roryo513 is on a distinguished road
Damn, that X got annihilated, but the front bumper looks A OK. The front bumper and the hood look new lol. The arguments are not based on IF its safe, more HOW safe the bumper is.Schrockworks is safety, but a different kind. Is pure steel is safer than a body that absorbs the impact? Its impossibly to know for sure without hundreds of test dummys, Xterras and Schrock Bumpers. Their are a huge amount of factors, like speed, mass, material and what kind of collision it is. Both pics I posted up earlier are one-sided, One vehicle was stopped and the other one collided. With Drakes new input from a head on collision it seems that the Schrock still does well. It all depends, if when the two objects meet and they stick together or if they bounce. Elastic and Inelastic collisions, along with transfer of motion. I dont want to get into the physics of collisions. But for the most part collisions seem to be one sided fender benders in parking lots, and in that case, the Xterra w/ schrock will dominate.

R.I.P January 2014
-2004 Green Xterra banged up from me hitting stuff
-Schrockworks Front bumper with two KC Daylighters
-Carson Police Siren with PA + Modded for MP3s.
~ Rory

2004 Xterra
#36 Old 02-18-2009, 03:31 PM
707X
Seasoned

2006 X Xterra
707X is on a distinguished road
i just emailed this to my wife, hopefully she understands how practical this is?

First a Jeep, then a Ford, now an Xterra, go figure.

06 Xterra X 4.0 Black 2wd.
2006 X Xterra
#37 Old 02-18-2009, 04:40 PM
IsaacF

2009 Xterra
IsaacF is on a distinguished road
Thanks Drake

I didn't know that Shrock also designed its bumpers with airbags in mind. Good to know. Thanks for taking the time to find those pics.

Rory, I agree with you 100% when it comes to fenderbenders and parking lots. In that case, a big bumper would definitely prevent you from needing to fix a lot of stuff and cover your deductible. Good point.

thanks for the info guys

Isaac

2009 Xterra OR - black
•Tow Package
•Tech Package
2000 Excursion - green (6.8L V10 4x4 with 4.30's)(tow rig)
2007 Toyota Prius - grey (1.5L I4) (mom's ride)
2007 Toyota Prius - black (1.5L I4) (sister's ride)
2003 KTM 125 SX
2003 KTM 200 MXC
2005 Honda Rancher
7x16 enlcosed trailer - for the offroad goodies
2009 Xterra
#38 Old 02-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Xterra Mike
Silver Submarine

2001 SE Xterra
Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough
Garage
ouch
2001 SE Xterra
#39 Old 12-06-2012, 10:25 PM
SC-Texas

2011 Xterra
SC-Texas is on a distinguished road
I'm about to schrock my x front back and sides.
2011 Xterra
#40 Old 12-07-2012, 08:40 AM
thanks28
Addict

2002 Xterra
thanks28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by midget28 View Post
I have the best i have come up with is $700 every 6 months with geico. Thats using every loophole I can filing it under my parents b/c me alone is $1000.
That's crazy man. Mine is only $924 every 6mnths and that is Full Coverage on 2 cars (my 4x4 X and my wife's eclipse sports car) and that's my own policy. Plus they cover my aftermarket add-ons so all my accessories are covered if something happens.

"Only the Best"
2002 Xterra SE 4x4 Solar Yellow
  • Cherry Bomb Glasspack Muffler
  • Concept Customs Lightbar w/ Pro Comp Long Ranges
  • Tinted All Windows to Match
  • Full Kenwood audio from Deck to Subs
  • Front Off Road Lights
  • PML
  • Custom Built Rock Sliders w/ Bedliner
  • Roof Basket w/ Spare Tire
  • DIY Hi-Lift Mount
  • 18" Rockstar XD wheels with 33"x12.50 Toyo Open Country Tires
Big Bird Build
2002 Xterra

Tags
crash , front bumper , schrock , schrockworks crash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.