MattyD
Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2000 Xterra
MattyD is on a distinguished road
Matt from MA/NH

My name is Matt, and I own a 2000 Xterra XE, 5 Speed, 3.3L VG33E V6 and 4x4. I'm running 31x10.5r15 BFG Longtrail T/A's on it on older 80's Cragar rims. It currently just turned 89K as of last night, and it is my daily driver.

A little bit about me:
I'm 18 and go to UNH, I sail, climb, windsurf, hike, road cycle and mountain bike, and backpack a lot. I'm self taught with everything car-related, but have a proclivity for mechanics and DIY. I've owned five vehicles:

-1992 Nissan Maxima 3.0L VG30DE Automatic. Leaky head gasket and shitty tranny. was given to me, but died at 220k the week I got it.

-1998 VW Passat 1.8t 5 speed. Owned it a year and drove it around 40k and sold it for a profit that I couldn't refuse.

-1992 Camaro RS 5 speed 305 TBI V8. Lightly modded engine, currently at 72k. lowered 2 inches, struts, springs, caster/camber. Kinda weaksauce. Saving to build a 383. Owned almost 2 years.

-1989 Toyota Pickup, 5 speed 2.4L 22RE 4WD. was junked at 150k. Owned for a year. PML, 2" BL, glass packs, lightly modded. Could never get over how much rust there was.

A little bit about why I picked it up:
I bought the truck on Memorial Day in 2012 from a private owner in CT for 4k, with only 81K on it. I bought it to replace my "totaled" 1989 Toyota Pickup, "Bubba", which suffered from a cracked frame after an accident in which I was hit by someone with an OUI in March. When buying it, I knew I wanted a smaller truck that fairly easy to work on (due to my time spent with me 22RE), somewhat decent on fuel (meh, not so much), could tow my boat, and could haul me and all my gear up to the Whites for MTB and backpacking trips, all while on a budget.

At the time, I was trying hard to find another Taco or Toyo or 4Runner, but I came across the X and after speaking to the owner and offering cash I was able to drive down and pick it up. The truck was owned by a guy who didn't like driving a stick anymore. The truck was pretty immaculate (though it smelled like food), virtually rust-free (except on the rear struts), and appeared to be in good condition. The one thing was that the front tires were bald and splitting. He didn't know much about the car's mechanical condition, but I took a leap of faith and purchased it and drove it home that day. It was my first time ever being in/driving an Xterra, and would be my second nissan (my first car was a '92 Maxima who's auto transmission blew the week it was given to me). The X is the newest car I've owned.

Here's what It looked like the day I got it:

The first thing I did was change the oil and filter to start running Mobil-1 5w30.

The second thing I did was change the wheels/tires. Despite the fact that one of my tires was hit on the Yota, there was no damage on any of the wheels or tires so I slapped them on. I had to cut into the front fenders quite a bit, and I made them fit. There's no rub, unless I'm under a bit of flex and putting pressure on the front end while turning on a steep downhill, because there's so much BS. It was a bit different from my Yota (which had shackles and cranked torsion bars and a 2"BL and longer struts). It was fine as a DD and I still had plenty of tread on the tires. The front right tire still doesn't balance perfectly, as the bead is a little bit injured from being on the Toyo, but the only wobble I notice is between 70-75 and past 80, and after almost 8k miles there hasn't been any absurd wear on them.

Here are a couple shots with the new setup (I don't know the backspacing but I really like the stance they give the X).

Some light trails in the Whites:

During this past summer I didn't really do much to it besides maintenance, as I was working ~60hrs/wk on the Cape. But I did take her on the beach quite a few times, and camped out with her both on the dunes and in the mountains.

(next to a stock X w/out the wheels/tires)

I picked up a Thule MOAB off of CL and bolted it on. Storage is necessary.

Recently I've just been at school and had time/resources for nothing. But now with winter break coming and a bit of "X"tra to spend, I'm getting the mod bug. I'm planning on taking off the runners, doing a PML (should I go Calimini or AC?), new tires (perhaps 32's), blacking plastics, installing new speakers, HU, and subs (I have 2 spare 10's lyng around), and replacing the shifter bushing (which is what I blame for the sloppy shifter). If I have anything In my budget an exhaust is next. Also, K&N drop in and removing resonators.

In the past few weeks I've found that I have a bit of an oil leak (it mostly burns off, though) coming from the passenger-side valve cover. I'm crossing my fingers that it's only a couple loose bolts and not the gasket. I only drive the truck once/twice a week right now for work and it hasn't been an issue - there's never anything on the ground but I can smell it burning off and see where it's leaking from.

What do y'all suggest? Thoughts/comments?
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.