New t-bars with pml? - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 11-05-2012, 03:37 PM
yellowx16
Addict

2002 Xterra
yellowx16 is on a distinguished road
Garage
New t-bars with pml?

I did some searching before posting this, but i couldnt really find exactly what i needed. I am going to be doing a pml for sure this winter on my break from school and i'm thinking i will need new t-bars. My reasoning for this is, 1.) i have adjusted my t-bars once before to level the front, and my bumpstop gap is already at .5". 2.) I have an ARB front bumper and i think the added weight sags the front down some already. So, my question is if i buy new sway bars (sway-away, AC or calmini) will i be able to definitely get a leveled pml? I just want to make sure i have a level pml, and im pretty sure the new t-bars will do this right? Also, ive read that the sway-aways ride a little bit stiffer than the calmini and AC bars because of the 30% vs. 20% spring rate, but what kind of experience have you all had with these t-bars? Any input would be appreciated!

Exterior:
Custom rear bumper and tire carrier, ARB Front Winch bumper, Calmini PML, 2" Body Lift, HID projector retrofitted headlights, 4 5" pro comp spot lights on custom light bar, 2 6" Pro Comp lights converted to HID, 2 Rigid Industries Dually flood lights, 31x10.50416 BFG A/T on 16x8 Vision Wheel Warrior
Performance:
K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster super 44 muffler, full replacement exhaust
Build-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/sho...d.php?p=510153

Last edited by yellowx16; 11-05-2012 at 04:45 PM.
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-05-2012, 05:24 PM
lbishop
Veteran

2004 Xterra
lbishop is on a distinguished road
not quite man, the sway aways might get rid of some of the sag from the arb but wont let you get the leveled look because your out of adjustment room. your gonna need a set of uca's )upper control arms. They let you crank the t-bars up further because they bring everything back into the manufactures tolerances

heres a link to the ones on 4x4parts
https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/xter...lift-p-79.html

and the calmini ones
http://www.purenissan.com/wd22_control_arms.htm

work in progress

265/75/16 Cooper Discover ST maxxs
pro comp 7032
Calmini UCA's
prg deaver 2nd gen aal
4x4parts revolver shackles
grassroots 4x4 centerlink
3 inch bilsteins
bilstein steering stabilizer
2004 Xterra
#3 Old 11-05-2012, 05:58 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
The AC torsion bars are SAW's.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#4 Old 11-05-2012, 07:08 PM
xtacular
Spaz

2002 Xterra
xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough
lbishop is on the money, you need upper control arms. The tbars will do nothing to give you more bumpstop gap.

2002 Super Black 5 Speed 4x4
Lift/Suspension: AC Shackles and UCAs, Extended Bilsteins, 2" BL
Armor: front ARB Bumper, rear Skid Row bumper with custom tire carrier
Steering: Bandit 4x4 idler arm bushings, AC HD TRAs, Calmini IAB; Moog TREs and 555 centerlink
Wheels/Tires: 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, desert runner wheels
Performance: K&N intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler
Electronics: backup camera, Pioneer head unit, JBL 770w amp, JL Audio 12" W0, rear Sony Xplods
2002 Xterra
#5 Old 11-05-2012, 07:15 PM
yellowx16
Addict

2002 Xterra
yellowx16 is on a distinguished road
Garage
alright, so basically new t-bars wont solve anything, i just gotta get new uca's. Makes sense now, thanks for the help.

Exterior:
Custom rear bumper and tire carrier, ARB Front Winch bumper, Calmini PML, 2" Body Lift, HID projector retrofitted headlights, 4 5" pro comp spot lights on custom light bar, 2 6" Pro Comp lights converted to HID, 2 Rigid Industries Dually flood lights, 31x10.50416 BFG A/T on 16x8 Vision Wheel Warrior
Performance:
K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster super 44 muffler, full replacement exhaust
Build-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/sho...d.php?p=510153
2002 Xterra
#6 Old 11-28-2012, 11:44 AM
spasticnapjerk

2004 Xterra
spasticnapjerk is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone. I hope I'm not stepping on this thread, but the Calmini UCAs are part of a 3" suspension lift kit that they sell. It contains a bunch of stuff...leafs, ball joints, UCAs, and new torsion bars that are said to "smooth out the ride."

I have a PML with low-profile bump stops and the ride crashes over every bump. It sounds like the TBs are cranked too much, for sure. I would like to upgrade. Will the Calmini 3" lift kit really make the ride smoother? Thanks for any and all advice, and sorry for asking a question that has probably been answered 1000 times already.

Drew
Honduras
2004 Xterra
#7 Old 11-28-2012, 01:27 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spasticnapjerk View Post
Hi everyone. I hope I'm not stepping on this thread, but the Calmini UCAs are part of a 3" suspension lift kit that they sell. It contains a bunch of stuff...leafs, ball joints, UCAs, and new torsion bars that are said to "smooth out the ride."

I have a PML with low-profile bump stops and the ride crashes over every bump. It sounds like the TBs are cranked too much, for sure. I would like to upgrade. Will the Calmini 3" lift kit really make the ride smoother? Thanks for any and all advice, and sorry for asking a question that has probably been answered 1000 times already.

Drew
Honduras
It would IF the rough ride is caused by the UCAs hitting the bump stop! The UCAs don't do anything specfically to "smooth" the ride. They are just a big chunk of welded metal. The aftermarket UCAs are narrower to allow a bigger gap between the bump stop. Thus...if you crank your Torsion bars too much so that they hit the bump stops, then replace the UCAs with a narrower arm, you have now have a bump stop gap at the same torsion bar position. If you added low profile bump stops, and still have a gap between them and your stock UCAs, getting new UCAs will not improve the ride quality...they will just give you an even bigger gap between your UCAs and bumps tops!

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.