Valve Cover Gasket.. - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 11-27-2012, 06:48 PM
TonyPgh
Seasoned

2000 Xterra
TonyPgh is on a distinguished road
Valve Cover Gasket..

2000 Xterra 3.3 automatic.
About two months ago, my passenger side valve cover gasket was leaking. Very small leak, but I seen and smelled it. So I went and bought a good set of rubber gaskets.
I replaced the passenger side, that was leaking. Fixed!!! Easy to get to.
I looked at the drivers side, and it was fine. So I just saved the gasket.
Well...I noticed a smell of burnt oil the other night after coming home. I cannot see a leak anywhere, but it does look damp around that gasket now. ugh! I am not low on oil at all. So it is a very minor leak.
The reason I am posting this.
It looks like a ton of work to do the drivers side. I can't even see the valve cover on that side. Has anyone done one of these?
I see I have to remove the aluminum thing on top, and a ton of stuff. Is this a tough job, and require other gaskets, besides the valve cover gasket?
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27722

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#3 Old 11-27-2012, 07:13 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
plan on replacing the vacuum hoses in the back, and the intake manifold gasket. you might be able to get the vacuum hoses loose in the back, but I had to cut mine and then cut them off with a knife. you will have to take a ton of stuff loose so plan on having a label maker or some tape nearby to mark what is what, particularly the o2 sensors. honestly most of the stuff is designed to fit in only its particularly plug, but is still safe. I labeled all of mine with numbers as i was taking them loose and then wrote down a list of each number an what it was so that when I put it all back together I could check stuff off the list as I went and make sure I didnt miss anything.

It was a bit of a pain to do, but dont let that deter you.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#4 Old 11-27-2012, 07:24 PM
drbandkgb
nXm3 Sept 2013

2000 Xterra
drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold
ITs a good couple hour project.. Did mine a month ago..

You will need a new intake gasket for sure.. I was able to save my hoses..
I changed my plugs while I was at it.. Saves you a little pain..
2000 Xterra
#5 Old 11-27-2012, 10:10 PM
TonyPgh
Seasoned

2000 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerXXL View Post
Thanks! Excellent article. I appreciate the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by intender View Post
plan on replacing the vacuum hoses in the back, and the intake manifold gasket. you might be able to get the vacuum hoses loose in the back, but I had to cut mine and then cut them off with a knife. you will have to take a ton of stuff loose so plan on having a label maker or some tape nearby to mark what is what, particularly the o2 sensors. honestly most of the stuff is designed to fit in only its particularly plug, but is still safe. I labeled all of mine with numbers as i was taking them loose and then wrote down a list of each number an what it was so that when I put it all back together I could check stuff off the list as I went and make sure I didnt miss anything.

It was a bit of a pain to do, but dont let that deter you.
I will get it done shortly. I am hoping advance or someone local has the intake gasket. Nissan is not close to me.
Do you have to use permatex on the intake gasket???

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbandkgb View Post
ITs a good couple hour project.. Did mine a month ago..

You will need a new intake gasket for sure.. I was able to save my hoses..
I changed my plugs while I was at it.. Saves you a little pain..
Thanks! I just did my plugs and wires, and a ton of maintenance. I thought I was done for a while. Guess not. Did you use permatex on your intake gasket? Or just out it on dry?
2000 Xterra
#6 Old 11-28-2012, 12:32 PM
muadeeb
Banned

2001 Xterra
muadeeb will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyPgh View Post
Do you have to use permatex on the intake gasket???
It's a metal gasket. No adhesives needed, nor should they be used. Sames goes for the valve covers.
2001 Xterra
#7 Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 PM
drbandkgb
nXm3 Sept 2013

2000 Xterra
drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by muadeeb View Post
It's a metal gasket. No adhesives needed, nor should they be used. Sames goes for the valve covers.
Right!
2000 Xterra
#8 Old 11-28-2012, 07:22 PM
TonyPgh
Seasoned

2000 Xterra
Okay, got it! I didn't use anything on my one valve cover. Just cleaned it well, and used the rubber gasket. I need to see if someone local carries my intake gasket. Might as well do it and be done with it.
2000 Xterra
#9 Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 AM
muadeeb
Banned

2001 Xterra
muadeeb will become famous soon enough
Just make certain the mating surfaces are CLEAN. On Dave's pic, you can see some smeg on the lower intake that should be cleaned off before the new gasket goes on. Also wouldn't hurt to buy some M8x1.25-20mm bolts. I had to destroy my intake bolts to remove it.

Note: Someone check me on that. It's been a while and I don't have the bolts/package in front of me.
2001 Xterra
#10 Old 11-29-2012, 11:14 AM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by muadeeb View Post
Just make certain the mating surfaces are CLEAN. On Dave's pic, you can see some smeg on the lower intake that should be cleaned off before the new gasket goes on. Also wouldn't hurt to buy some M8x1.25-20mm bolts. I had to destroy my intake bolts to remove it.

Note: Someone check me on that. It's been a while and I don't have the bolts/package in front of me.
That sounds right to me. I dropped 2 of my bolts down in the engine bay and never found them and messed up a couple trying to get them out. I bought some of the black allen head screws from home depot to replace mine. I think they were about $1.50 for a pack of 2.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.