No bass with FM radio? - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 11-23-2012, 07:59 PM
johnnyg
Noob

2005 Xterra
johnnyg is on a distinguished road
No bass with FM radio?

Hey guys,
I have an 05 SE. I notice that when I use the tuner function of the stereo there is almost no bass/ low end at all. This only happens with the radio though. I replaced the the stock head unit a while back but the problem occurred with the stock and aftermarket. It's not really a huge issue since the new head unit has a usb port for an ipod which sounds normal, I'm just curious if this is a common problem or not?
Thanks, johnnyg
2005 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Mathster
Veteran

2001&2006 Xterra
Mathster is on a distinguished road
thats odd...

does it do it with various radio stations?
2001&2006 Xterra
#3 Old 11-23-2012, 08:39 PM
johnnyg
Noob

2005 Xterra
appears to be any and all of them, in any part of town I'm in. all stations sound normal in other vehicles
2005 Xterra
#4 Old 11-24-2012, 11:03 AM
BSPX

2001 Xterra
BSPX is on a distinguished road
i THINK its because not all people have speakers well enough to handleheavy bass so they just turn it down or remove it

-Brandon

2001 Xterra XE

MOD LIST:
-New 31" BFG Mud Terrains [X]
- 15" Pro Comp soft 8's [X]
-New Sound system []
- Straight Pipe Exhaust [X]
-Cold Air Intake []
-2" BL [X]
-Offroad roof lights []
-Curt roof basket [X]
2001 Xterra
#5 Old 11-24-2012, 05:42 PM
johnnyg
Noob

2005 Xterra
Maybe, but even with cds on the stock system, there was plenty of low end. Could it be a connection from the anttena to a cable or some sort of grounding issue?
2005 Xterra
#6 Old 12-16-2012, 05:54 AM
Delirious

2003 Xterra
Delirious is on a distinguished road
i thinks its the tuners they use, i have an `03 with the rf system and its bassless on fm, yet tons on the cd playback. i am an audio installer by trade an usually find fm too bassy. used to luv the older alpine decks that the audio setting were all able to be set differently for each source.
2003 Xterra
#7 Old 12-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Mathster
Veteran

2001&2006 Xterra
Mathster is on a distinguished road
I was messing around with my pioneer super tuner in my frontier and found there are different settings for radio vs. CD. They aren't fine adjustments, but more like you can adjust the loudness and bass of the CD compared to the radio settings.

does your stereo have seperate adjustments?
2001&2006 Xterra
#8 Old 12-17-2012, 03:24 AM
Delirious

2003 Xterra
Delirious is on a distinguished road
on the factory stuff if you set +4 bass on the cd, it`ll be +4 on the radio too. the older brand name aftermarket stuff is where the sound quality was....used to be a tyme when the more money a head unit was the better it sounded. now price goes up for more features (bluetooth, ipod interface, usb etc) but all sound the same now when comparing "alpine to alpine" clarion to clarion" etc i have a single din 5 year old clarion thats been in about 4 vehicles now, sounds great, but all the new clarion decks at my store now i wouldnt use for anything other than wheel chocks now. their double din units have more issues than someone in a mental health ward IMHO. alpine still good dependable stuff, even their entry level heads (made by panasonic) are good units. i have considered a double din alpine, for the gps and back up camera but even at my cost is a lotta cash. i get stuff at cost and big box stores and internet sells for below cost, its really killing my industry. its not helping the local economy either. ppl need to shop locally and pay a tad more, you`ll get more information, frm knowledgable sales staff, and you might even help a local ma n pa audio store (or any other type of retail business) have their next meal. they could be your neighbour, or a friend of a friend. i hear of ppl on my boating forums going into a small local shop checking out stereos finding what they like (wasting a sales staff`s tyme) and then rushing home to order that model online to save 20 bucks. i think being able to hear, play, and see it would be worth the lil extra the local shops charge that you cant get online. plz ppl....keep your money local, you wont believe how much faster we all can get into a better economy, its good for everyone. sorry for my rant
2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.