Skids from AC - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 11-19-2012, 03:29 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
Skids from AC

i have been looking at the different skids from AC trying to decide which ones to get. I picked up a gas tank skid from xterra mike and its on its way. i have read that the rear diff skid is a waste of money on the 1st gens so that one is out.

they have two different sets of skids on their website. The one set are the skid row plate, the other they dont have listed as any name brand, but the pics they show are exactly the same design and the same pics even as the ones on the shrock website, except for the fact that the front skid picture doesnt show the shrockworks name on it. Like I said, they look the same, but but im not sure. Also they are cheaper on AC than from shrock. are these shrock skids?

second question is both the shrock and skid row plates say that the engine/transmission skid and the front skid are required together. problem is i will only have about $300 on hand to order some skids so I wanted to get the transfer case skid and the front skid, but if I wont be able to use to use the front skid I will just order the transfer case one for the time being and get the other two together when the cash is available.

actually after looking at shrock i will probably end up ordering straight from shrock if i get them. Even though the skids are about $20 cheaper from AC shipping is so much cheaper from shrock that it saves about $10 overall.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by intender View Post

second question is both the shrock and skid row plates say that the engine/transmission skid and the front skid are required together. problem is i will only have about $300 on hand to order some skids so I wanted to get the transfer case skid and the front skid, but if I wont be able to use to use the front skid I will just order the transfer case one for the time being and get the other two together when the cash is available.
The rear edge of the front skid attaches to the eng/trans skid so it has to be used in conjunction with the eng/trans skid.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#3 Old 11-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Ehlectric

2002 Xterra
Ehlectric is on a distinguished road
So is the rear diff skid actually useless on the 1st gen? This is the first time I'm hearing about this. Is anything else not needed?

'02 Xterra Supercharged 4WD

My plans:
Paint plastics to black [1/2]
Fog Lights (fixed) [X]
PML or bigger lift [ ]
Air Intake Mod [ ]
Brakes [X]
CB radio [ ]
Breather Tube [ ]
2002 Xterra
#4 Old 11-19-2012, 04:04 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
Garage
From what i have read the rear diff on first gens is strong enough to take a drop on some rocks. the only real thing to damage is the drain plug. General consensus seems to be that the rear diff skid just creates less ground clearance and a hang up point in a location that wouldnt really hang on its own. from looking at the pics of the skid it also looks like it doesnt protect the u-joint or any of the driveshaft which are really the only weak points around the rear diff. This is not my knowledge, but just what I have read here and other forums.

Also from what I have read it seems that when buying skids you should start in the back and work your way forward. Not sure why, but again something I have read on several forums.

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#5 Old 11-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Ehlectric

2002 Xterra
Ehlectric is on a distinguished road
Huh, I thought it would have been go from front to back. Can anyone confirm this? Saves me money on skids so I'm pretty happy.

'02 Xterra Supercharged 4WD

My plans:
Paint plastics to black [1/2]
Fog Lights (fixed) [X]
PML or bigger lift [ ]
Air Intake Mod [ ]
Brakes [X]
CB radio [ ]
Breather Tube [ ]
2002 Xterra
#6 Old 11-19-2012, 04:18 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehlectric View Post
So is the rear diff skid actually useless on the 1st gen? This is the first time I'm hearing about this. Is anything else not needed?

Seems some have had it hang up while others think they are an answer in search of a problem. A few threads.

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/sho...highlight=skid

-Kelly- Build Thread

2000 XE V6 Xterra
#7 Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
Garage
One other question. On the front skid from shrock and skid row it looks like it uses the same bolt locations as the factory in the very front, but what about the rear. does it only attach to the engine/tranny skid, or does go through the factory bolt locations.

reason I ask, is my x had the front stock skid on when I got it. However, whoever owned it before me had taken it off for some reason and screwed up all the factory screw holes when they put it back on. in the front there were two screws, one appeared factory but the other was a large sheet metal screw that had been forced into the hole somehow and screwed up the threads. I only have the center hole with good threads up front and the two rear ones I actually drilled out and rethreaded for a bigger bolt and it seems to held up so far. needless to say I eventually gave up and took it off.

When and if I get the front skid I will have to figure out something for those front bolts or it will be worthless with only 1 bolt in the front. shouldnt be a big deal to stick some bolts through the cross member and weld some nuts on the top side. Just want to be prepared in the event that I go that route with my skids. it looks like the ac front skid bolts on to the holes on the end of the frame horns. is that correct?

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#8 Old 11-19-2012, 09:32 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
Garage
For the Skid Row at least you are not using factory holes, you are drilling new ones for almost all the bolts. They do not thread into the cross members but are through bolted in. The gas skid uses the stock mounting holes however IIRC.

-Kelly- Build Thread

2000 XE V6 Xterra
#9 Old 11-19-2012, 09:40 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
Garage
cool, thats what I was hoping.

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.