Roof Rack Fog lights and wiring routing?? - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 11-19-2012, 09:45 AM
scott-bc
Seasoned

2000 Xterra
scott-bc is on a distinguished road
Roof Rack Fog lights and wiring routing??

I was going to add a roof rack light bar on top near the front, that's easy but I was wondering where the best and most practicle place would be to route the wires through the roof. How does a person get the wires that are outside through the roof into the interior of the truck? Would have to be a method so that the roof never leaks? Possibly somewhere near the inside of the stock roof rack mounts to the roof?
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-19-2012, 12:08 PM
yazzagaffix
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
yazzagaffix is on a distinguished road
I ran two relays directly off the battery. From there I fed three 12 gauge wires up to the roof through the passenger side pillar. At the top of the pillar I drilled a hole through the roof under the roof-rack's front-right foot. Painted and grommeted the hole, then after running the wires through it, glopped on lots of electrical grease.

The wires run to an electrical socket that I installed in the roof rack (see build thread page 3). I had run a single 12 gauge ground wire from the passenger side "Oh S**T" handle. Several people thought that would not be enough as I have about 310watts of lights (about 26 amps) so I added another ground wire from one of the roof-rack mounting screws which I scrapped the paint off, then tested the connection) to the roof-rack cross bar.

That was in 2009, and no leaks to date.

2003 XE – 5 speed, 4X4
Removed: resonators, rear sway bar, mud flaps, step rails, factory skids
Added: full skids, shrock sliders, K&N Air Filter, 6" shackles, upgraded rear springs, IAB, heavy duty TRAs, 31-10.5-15 MTZ Mud Claws, Bilstein shocks

Mods: 2" PML, Xterra roof rack cross-bar lights

My modest build thread...
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23684
2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.