bpost

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2002 Xterra
bpost is on a distinguished road
Steering q's

Hey guys
I've done alot of searching about my question but I'm finding I only have one option.
On the weekend I replaced my centerlink with a moog one and a new idler arm with a Calmini IAB. I went out into the bush and hit a few rocks, broke my RF tie rod adjuster and bent the LF TRA.

So for the time being I've hit up a local junkyard and replaced the tra's with used ones for a cost effective reasons until I can figure out what I want to do.
I live in British Columbia, Canada so the Calmini products are hard to come by and I pay more and have to wait longer for them. I'd really like to buy their steering system as the idler arm I just replaced is pooched as well, most likely from all the stress of bending/breaking adjusters.
I've read about the grassroots centerlink but I'm not sure if thats going to solve my tra issue down the road. I've also heard of the SLR steering but to my knowledge they are no longer in business? My xterra has a calmini 3" SL so I understand the added stress it puts on the steering. Would upper ball joint spacers help with the stress on the steering? Does anyone have any input on Calmini in Canada?
I'd rather spend the money on a calmini steering system than continue to break TRA's, IA's, and CL's
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Xterra Mike
Silver Submarine

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
2001 SE Xterra
Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Nothing will help relieve the stress on your TRA's so you have to install HD ones. You can order HD ones from 4x4parts.com. That Center link wont hold up either and the grassroots CL bearings will eventually seize up and start cutting into the bolts. Ive replaced 2 bearings so far and they all need to be replaced again.

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/heav...rs-p-6361.html

Last edited by Xterra Mike; 11-15-2012 at 02:26 PM.
2001 SE Xterra
post #3 of 10 Old 11-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Stickle
Phreak

04 Xterra
Stickle will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xterra Mike View Post
Nothing will help relieve the stress on your TRA's so you have to install HD ones. You can order HD ones from 4x4parts.com. That Center link wont hold up either and the grassroots CL bearings will eventually seize up and start cutting into the bolts. Ive replaced 2 bearings so far and they all need to be replaced again.

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/heav...rs-p-6361.html
What do you know about TRAs?

I drivers an Exterraz!
04 Xterra
post #4 of 10 Old 11-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Xterror04
Phreak

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2004 Xterra
Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough
What is there to know? The ones mike listed are the best ones to get
2004 Xterra
post #5 of 10 Old 11-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Xterra Mike
Silver Submarine

2001 SE Xterra
Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickle View Post
What do you know about TRAs?
I know how to break em!
2001 SE Xterra
post #6 of 10 Old 11-15-2012, 06:00 PM
BengbX
2001 Silver Xterra SE

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2001 Xterra
BengbX is on a distinguished road
The TRA from 4x4parts is a lot thicker than OE.

and if you keep snapping yours. Buy extras

2001 Silver Xterra SE 4X4 (X in progress)
Mods: Lobo Rack, IAB, 3" Bilstein Shocks F&R, 2"BL, 3" SL. Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, AC HD Tie Rods, Bandit Bushing, B&M Light Bar, 4KC Lights, Painted plastic trim,. Rear Mounted Lights. Fully Shrocked front to back + under, 8" KC Rally Lights, 4ft Firestik Antenna, Cobra 75 WXST CB, Xtreme Hi-Lift Jack, Volant CAI. BFG 33 AT on Cragar Soft 8. Quadratec 11000 synthetic winch. Safari Snorkel. Soon EBC S/D rotors and 7K green pads
2001 Xterra
post #7 of 10 Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
bpost

2002 Xterra
bpost is on a distinguished road
definitely like the AC stuff, anyone out there from Canada bought their stuff before? wondering abouts duties...
2002 Xterra
post #8 of 10 Old 11-15-2012, 11:36 PM
KBCL
Veteran

2001 Xterra
KBCL is on a distinguished road
I'm in BC as well (langley), I made an order for about $190 in parts from 4x4parts.com and got charged almost $90 in duties and fees from UPS. There are lots of places you can have stuff shipped to just across the line for cheap. I have a connection to someone with a Blaine WA PO box and have stuff shipped there now. So far after several orders, I've never had to pay duty coming back into Canada yet.

Big Country Customs in Abbotsford sells Calmini stuff as well. If I remember correctly, the 3" lift from them is around the same price as Calmini's site so you could try them.
2001 Xterra
post #9 of 10 Old 11-16-2012, 09:24 AM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
My personal experience with AC is that their shipping cost is high. try to order more than one thing if you need/want more than one thing as shipping cost dont go up much with added items.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
post #10 of 10 Old 12-14-2012, 03:47 AM
bruckner

2004 Xterra
bruckner is on a distinguished road
xterramike how long have you had your grassroots CL?
Im looking to upgrade mine and was thinking going grassroots
are they even in business anymore the email on the website does not seem to work
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.