post #91 of 102 Old 01-24-2012, 05:41 AM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2002 Xterra
ShiftingSkys will become famous soon enough
Some X's came without racks? that is a crime against the Xterra. Man I took mine off to clean the debris out and The sight of the X without the rack made me rush my job to get it back on. They look terrible without the rack o.o

2002 Nissan Xterra

Lifted and Ready to Roll!

Build Thread-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38877
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 102 Old 03-28-2012, 09:39 PM
layzangler

2000 Xterra
layzangler is on a distinguished road
When I bought my x there was no radio in it so my dumbass goes to Wal-mart. I paid like 120 for the cd player and 35 for a "universal install kit" what a bunch of crap. The harness was useless because the wires had been cut and it didn't have the right den adapter. I had to buy another install kit from Ebay for another 20-30 can't remember, and had to mod that one to work as well. For future reference use Crutchfield there stuff is high but there cd players are very reasonable and they come with free harness and install kit, I'm prety sure it would be the right one too.
2000 Xterra
post #93 of 102 Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 PM
kms1990
Addict

2000 Xterra
kms1990 is on a distinguished road
bought 4 tires for $600 realized ntb had same brand and mileage for $360 for 4 installed took them back and got the difference but PITA for me

almost got the used car dealers "warranty" on it for $200 decided not to thank god

ordered a sunroof shade for it from stealership wanted $140 (fyi still havent heard back from them after they called me to say it was backordered) after they showed to have one in Tennessee bought one from a memeber here arrived a few days back love it and under half the price even with shipping
(luckly didnt pay dealer anything yet)

MY BRIGHT AZZ LIGHTS!

MY STEREO BEATS EM ALL!
My Laundry List
LIFT()
MUD TIRES()
DROP IN K&N FILTER(X)
UPGRADE STEREO(X)
RESTORE BUMPERS(X)
HID AND PIAA FOGS(X)
FIX UP HEADLINER()
WINCH()
MUFFLER UPGRADE()
2000 Xterra
post #94 of 102 Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Ricel
Phreak

2002 Xterra
Ricel has a spectacular aura about them Ricel has a spectacular aura about them
Learned why you don't spin the steering wheel when it's not attached to the gear box.

Airbag horn and cruise control is dormant waiting on a new spiral cable to be replaced.

Lock that wheel down!

-Curt
2002 Black Xterra SE 4x4

Build Thread
:Lets just say its getting to be an expensive mod list:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Everett View Post
I'd rather attempt to put together a 5000 piece puzzle of nothing but blackness than set the pinion lash on a Dana diff.
2002 Xterra
post #95 of 102 Old 11-16-2012, 01:17 AM
drivesarollback

2004 Xterra
drivesarollback is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerbrace View Post
Before arriving at the forums, I made quite a few

First-K @ N FIPK- did this 2 days after I got the X. Why was it stupid, because I was just going off of the brand and not going with the concept. I just got a K @ N HAI(hot air intake)

Throttle body spacer-yeah.....I got one...(had one)

entire Gibson exhaust system. Basically I bought the entire system and all that I should have got was a muffler- then I spent $120 for them to weld it on. Now I have a chrome tip that needs some rock rash

AC Body lift-spent the $200 and used hardly any of it

Calmini SL- besides not buying their shocks. this was a stupid purchase. I bought the entire thing, not knowing that a 3" SL could just be accomplished with UCA's, shackles. and an AAL, and I would have done without the sway extensions and the bumpstop extensions

As far as repairs go-I had a shop fix a wheel bearing using 2 screwdrivers for $40.

Already bought the TBS, did the K&N at first, but I just got a volant. Was thinking calmini SL was looking like way too much... I've got your list from the cheap BL page and I'm about to do that after taking off the exhaust before putting on the new one and fabbing new bumper/grille. Should I just return the TBS or something? I'm bending and welding my own DT Headers-back exhaust.

As far as repairs and maintenance like that wheel bearing you mentioned... can I pretty much read up on how to do all of that stuff on this forum? It seems pretty complete to me. Just kind of scared to mess up my X is all.
2004 Xterra
post #96 of 102 Old 11-16-2012, 07:22 AM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
ShiftingSkys will become famous soon enough
@drives a rollback
I am sure that even without a DIY on this forum that if you run into trouble as you are doing the job we would all love to chime in and help.You can also probably create a thread if you cannot find one in the search asking for tips or suggestions.

@thread Luckily I Found this site before I started modding my X so I have been able to avoid the stupid purchases and mods .

2002 Nissan Xterra

Lifted and Ready to Roll!

Build Thread-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38877
2002 Xterra
post #97 of 102 Old 11-04-2013, 02:38 AM
Gigashadow
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
Gigashadow is on a distinguished road
I don't know how I just found this thread, but I'm all about forum necromancy.

Repairs

Currently repairing a bad EGR that I feel partially responsible for breaking, and the tap / die kit on my desk next to me means I'm going to have to rethread part of my intake manifold.

Mods

Previous owner only did the stock intake resonator removal halfway before quitting for some reason. The resonator by the evap line on the driver's side wasn't bolted down (no biggie) and the other one by the intake temp sensor(?) is missing with the piping exposed to the air. Quick fix.

Sent via intergalactic signal from The Light Universe, courtesy The League Of 20,000 Planets.
2003 Xterra
post #98 of 102 Old 04-15-2015, 06:52 AM
Tenzen
Seasoned

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Tenzen is on a distinguished road
Did you know that if you slide the front seats all the way forward and remove the bottom of the back seats, that the rear seat head rests can be reversed to make a perfectly flat place for your head when sleeping in the back?

Just thought that was very cool. It has to be designed that way.. Or was it just by chance..
post #99 of 102 Old 04-18-2015, 07:37 AM
Tenzen
Seasoned

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Tenzen is on a distinguished road
It seems to me that most after market front and rear bumpers, tire racks, etc.. Probably aren't the best mods since the xterra isn't rated to hold much weight

And if you want to tow anything on top of that..

Anyway, i think its the main thing that wears down your drive train.. No faster way to reduce the life of your drive train than going over load capacity or tow rating..

Sure you can do it, but I really think its a risk, also puts a lot of extra stress on other systems, like your cooling system, you'll also run hotter, causing a lot more wear and stress damage to most joints, connectors, fittings etc as well.. Leading to the higher possibility of a crack or leak in something that can end up bending a valve and requiring a complete engine rebuild.. Not to mention the increased stress and wear on the transmission and its shifting.

And I'm pretty sure those ratings dont factor in off-roading up very long and steep inclines etc.

Anyway.. I personally don't think its worth the extra effort your vehicle needs to exert or the extra strain its under, since you won't be actually needing that but a small percentage of the time you're driving with it on.
post #100 of 102 Old 04-18-2015, 01:05 PM
TJTJ
Sage Mentor/Moderator

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen View Post
It seems to me that most after market front and rear bumpers, tire racks, etc.. Probably aren't the best mods since the xterra isn't rated to hold much weight

And if you want to tow anything on top of that..

Anyway, i think its the main thing that wears down your drive train.. No faster way to reduce the life of your drive train than going over load capacity or tow rating..

Sure you can do it, but I really think its a risk, also puts a lot of extra stress on other systems, like your cooling system, you'll also run hotter, causing a lot more wear and stress damage to most joints, connectors, fittings etc as well.. Leading to the higher possibility of a crack or leak in something that can end up bending a valve and requiring a complete engine rebuild.. Not to mention the increased stress and wear on the transmission and its shifting.

And I'm pretty sure those ratings dont factor in off-roading up very long and steep inclines etc.

Anyway.. I personally don't think its worth the extra effort your vehicle needs to exert or the extra strain its under, since you won't be actually needing that but a small percentage of the time you're driving with it on.

If you don't need armor, its just a drain on the suspension, mpg, etc, to lug around the added steel with no benefit to off set the penalties.

If you off road where armor is needed, then, you need armor, and, you then decide if you want to off road or not, after weighing the penalties for doing so.

This is analogous to playing a sport, even though there are risks of injuries, driving a 17 mpg SUV instead of a 40 mpg econobox, etc.

We all weigh pros and cons, and make decisions based upon our own priorities.

My 2001 X was a work truck, and was modified to do the work I did, which included off road work to set up environmental monitoring stations, disaster response, forensic investigations, etc.

That meant the poor beast was loaded with equipment that was very heavy (Too heavy for my Jeep, which it replaced in this capacity). It also meant it was plated with steel and assorted armor, power accessories, OBA system, solar and wind generators, etc....to survive the rough terrain...and, somewhat lifted to have enough clearance to get into/out of where it needed to, etc.

It was typically ~ 6k lb on the truck scales when loaded for work, way over the GVWR....but, it kept on trucking, and went ~ 500k before it was donated to a new life as a rock buggy, and replaced by a 2004 X.

So, yes, more weight hurts mpg, but so does not getting a Prius. Wanting to be able to survive rough off road conditions is as valid as wanting to be able to have a certain cargo capacity, etc...we all have our own reasons for our prioritizations. There are always compromises.

For example, I know people who only off road a few times a year, and, take off the armor in between.

I know people with Prius's who rent larger rigs when they need more cargo capacity.

And so forth.

So, for those who do offroad, and prioritize the benefits of being able to go where they want to, in real life, no one with bumpers and winches and sliders etc, even though they ARE carrying a lot of added weight over stock, don't really see related failures, as the rigs can take it...even the gen 1 rigs.

The temp needle is in the exact same spot whether armored or not, etc.

There IS more wear and tear of course, but, its akin to being able to run faster if you cut off your left ear.

IE: If you cut off your left ear:

Less wind resistance means you can go faster.

Less weight means you can go faster.

Therefore, yes, cutting off your left ear means you can run faster....but, not enough to matter.

And that's the issue on the wear and tear with the added weight on xterras at least...historically.

MPG, acceleration, etc...COMPLETELY different story....and that's why body on frame rigs can't compete with unibody rigs on the road...the added sturdiness exacts a weight penalty.

The only time the mpg, etc, penalty is worth it is typically because you prioritize off road over on road performance.

IE: If you want to be able to traverse glacial moraines, it doesn't matter if a stock rig could climb faster because its lighter, as a stock rig couldn't survive climbing glacial moraines.

If you wheel where you don't need armor, armor is all weight and no benefit though.

If you want go where armor is needed, then, its needed.

-TJ

TJ's Build Thread ---> http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11532

DIYS http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16434

2001 Xterra SE, 2003 V6, 5 spd, Shrock Sliders, Bumpers and Skids, Warn 9.5xp Winch w/125' MasterPull II, OBA w/4Gal Tank & 4 CFM Compressor, Revolver Shackles, Deaver 3-Pack + Calmini 2-Pack + OEM Leaves, Bilstein 5150, SLR UCA, Diff Drop, 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x13.5/16 LTB's, Snorkel, Electric Fan Swap, etc...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.