post #1 of 7 Old 11-13-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
casey21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2001 Xterra
casey21 is on a distinguished road
I want to lift my 01! Help please!

I've had my X for about six years now but due to college expenses and paying back my student loans I am just now able to really begin mods. I want to lift it and put 33s on it. What would you guys suggest I go with, both lift and tire suggestions? I'm still kind of new with all of this A.K.A. so all input is welcome! Thanks!

~*CASEY*~
2001 Xterra
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-13-2012, 02:32 PM
yellowx16
Addict

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2002 Xterra
yellowx16 is on a distinguished road
Garage
a 2 inch body lift can be done for about 70 dollars, check the how-to section. This will allow you to fit 33s, a lot of people do a PML (poor man's lift) which consists of new longer rear shackles usually from 4x4parts.com or purenissan.com, then the front is leveled out by adjusted the torsion bars up.

Exterior:
Custom rear bumper and tire carrier, ARB Front Winch bumper, Calmini PML, 2" Body Lift, HID projector retrofitted headlights, 4 5" pro comp spot lights on custom light bar, 2 6" Pro Comp lights converted to HID, 2 Rigid Industries Dually flood lights, 31x10.50416 BFG A/T on 16x8 Vision Wheel Warrior
Performance:
K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster super 44 muffler, full replacement exhaust
Build-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/sho...d.php?p=510153
2002 Xterra
post #3 of 7 Old 11-13-2012, 03:13 PM
robcarync
Phreak

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
Do a LOT of searching...there is a TON of information on first gens...depending on how much you know (or don't know):

You can raise the height of your truck many ways...here is a post I made in another thread:

You can search and find all sorts of good info on this...here are some good links:

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28090

My PML HOw To is in my signature

=======================
I have been a fan of Automotive Customizers at 4x4parts.com

Suspension Lift:

Upper control arms and new Cam bolts are mandatory for the front end beyond 1-1.5" of lift. AC has the UCAs with an idler arm brace ... and Cam bolts which come to ~$500 when all is said and done.

You can get the 3 leaf add a leaf pack for around $200 if I recall correctly. That should lift your rear up 3 inches according to their website. Leaf packs add stiffness to your rear, so the ride may be a bit harsh. Avoid the single leaf add a leaf, as it is very stiff, and will make your hard much harsher than a 3 leaf pack (made this mistake on my old Tacoma). The leaf packs are nice if your truck is heavily loaded or are trailering things. Leaf springs are notoriously known for not being precise as far as the amount of lift it gives. They are springs, so depending on the weight, cargo, etc they may be high or low, and will sag in time.

When the leaf packs start to sag, you can get lift shackles (+ 1.5") for $65 to boost them up a little bit more.

If you want to avoid adding a leaf pack, and a potentially harsher ride, like me, I went the shackle only route for the rear, but I got the Adjustable Shackles, which have a maximum lift setting of 2 1/8", which is a bit more than the regular lift shackle (1.5"), but still maintaining the stock ride quality. I paired that with UCA's to match the lift in the front.

If you are a Poor Man, your Lift is the PML. Your stock UCAs can be adjusted to give you ~1-1.5" of lift, which you can pair with the 65 dollar shackles. Your front end will be maxed out, and you have to be careful of alignment issues.

Keep in mind, all of this is suspension lift. This means you are trading downward tire travel for upward tire travel. This means that you can't get larger tires than a stock X, as once the suspension is flexed, they will hit whatever they would have hit without the lift.

Body Lift

You can piece together a 2" body lift as others have mentioned, which raise the body 2 inches off of the frame. Since this raises the body relative to the frame, you now have room for bigger tires (33")

Bigger Tires

Also, on a stock 2003 X, you can fit 32" tires (265/75/16) with just trimming a little bit of plastic in the fender well (non visible plastic, body/fender/trim still looks stock)

Note: None of this includes new shocks. To maximize the usefulness of your lift, you should get shocks made for an X with a 3" lift...and REMOVE YOUR REAR SWAY BAR!

So, In Summary Pick a Suspension Lift, a Body Lift, and a Tire Size:

Suspension Lift

3" Lift to Suspension

3 Leaf pack and UCAs: ~$700

OR

2 1/8" Lift to Suspension

Adjustable shackle and UCAs: ~$600

OR

1-1.5" Lift to Suspension

Lift shackles: ~$65

PLUS

2" Lift to Body

AC body lift kit for ~$225

OR

Piece your own together for ~$70

PLUS

Lift due to Tires

1/2" lift with 32" tires (No Body Lift)

OR

1" lift with 33" tires (with Body Lift)

Beyond these, you are getting into solid axle swaps, sawzalling your fenders to shreds, and putting on 37" tires...which = $$$$$ and a potentially destroyed truck if not done right.

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
post #4 of 7 Old 11-13-2012, 03:19 PM
robcarync
Phreak

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
Also...to more directly address your question (above addresses all possibilities for lifting)...

if you just want 33s...you will need a body lift...you can piece them together by buying the parts individually:

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2151

Make sure all metric bolts are grade 10.9 (NOT 8.8) and all standard bolts are grade 8

Cost me 77 bucks to find all the parts.

Tires...there are a lot of opinions on tires...depends...what kind do you want? What do you want to do with them? Wheel the heck out of them? Aggressive as possible? all terrain with mild road manners? Mud tires? All terrain tires?

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
post #5 of 7 Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 PM
yellowbug
Phreak

01 Xterra
yellowbug will become famous soon enough yellowbug will become famous soon enough
to fit 33's you will need one of the two combos

Body Lift and PML

3" Suspension Lift

Tires I currently have the Cooper Discovery STT, They are awesome I love them.

But before you lift it find out what you want to do with it, then build around that.

Do you want hard core trailing, over-landing, just something capable for a weekend camping trip off of the beaten path.
01 Xterra
post #6 of 7 Old 11-14-2012, 01:56 AM
birddog01

2001 Xterra
birddog01 is on a distinguished road
Being the simpleton I am. I yanked the Plastics, did a PML and went with 32x11.50s.
She is still not as high as I'd like so the BL is happening ASAP. With the BL I'm going to want 33s and.. You see where this is going.
2001 Xterra
post #7 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
casey21

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2001 Xterra
casey21 is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone! I'm think I'm going to start off with a PML for now and see where that leads. Thanks for all the info, definitely helped!!

~*CASEY*~
2001 Xterra
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.