Any ideas or tricks? - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 11-10-2012, 05:50 PM
TonyPgh
Seasoned

2000 Xterra
TonyPgh is on a distinguished road
Any ideas or tricks?

I was regreasing my hubs today.
And wanted to service some other things.
I tried to remove the front axle fill plug. Before removing the drain plug!!
I cannot get it out. I soaked it with PB blast. No luck! I cannot get it off, even with a breaker bar.
It is starting to slowly round it out. So I stopped. Any ideas?

Also, I checked my Transfer case fluid. It is full, but I wanted to change it. How are you guys getting tranny fluid in there? There is no room at all to get to that opening!!
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-10-2012, 06:03 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyPgh View Post
I was regreasing my hubs today.
And wanted to service some other things.
I tried to remove the front axle fill plug. Before removing the drain plug!!
I cannot get it out. I soaked it with PB blast. No luck! I cannot get it off, even with a breaker bar.
It is starting to slowly round it out. So I stopped. Any ideas?

Also, I checked my Transfer case fluid. It is full, but I wanted to change it. How are you guys getting tranny fluid in there? There is no room at all to get to that opening!!
http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=292

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#3 Old 11-10-2012, 06:10 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
I remember when i did mine that i was really glad i had a body lift. for the transfer case I went to harbor freight and bought one of their cheap fluid hand pumps. They have them at advance and auto zone too, but they are about twice the price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html

as for the fill plug, a lot of people seem to have trouble getting them off, but I am pretty sure I could have pulled mine loose with my fingers. the front and rear fill plugs were both barely on there. If yours is really in there tight and you can get to it without melting other stuff take a torch to it. if not get some stuff called crc freeze off. you might use a whole can on the one bolt, but it usually works. its pretty much compressed gas that comes out super cold and causes the bolt to contract a bit and allow you to get it loose.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#4 Old 11-10-2012, 06:16 PM
TonyPgh
Seasoned

2000 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by intender View Post
I remember when i did mine that i was really glad i had a body lift. for the transfer case I went to harbor freight and bought one of their cheap fluid hand pumps. They have them at advance and auto zone too, but they are about twice the price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html

Hey, I saw those before, good idea!!!

as for the fill plug, a lot of people seem to have trouble getting them off, but I am pretty sure I could have pulled mine loose with my fingers. the front and rear fill plugs were both barely on there. If yours is really in there tight and you can get to it without melting other stuff take a torch to it. if not get some stuff called crc freeze off. you might use a whole can on the one bolt, but it usually works. its pretty much compressed gas that comes out super cold and causes the bolt to contract a bit and allow you to get it loose.
I have some freeze off. I needed it for my spark plugs...ugh!
I will try that tomorrow. maybe if that don't work. I will try some map gas. I was afraid of throwing some heat under there. But may have no choice. The rear axle plug spun right out. This front one looks like it has not been off for a while.
2000 Xterra
#5 Old 11-12-2012, 02:49 PM
TonyPgh
Seasoned

2000 Xterra
Ya know...I have always swore by PB Blast. Which I still like....However.
I used the Freeze it, and I'll be damn! It worked.
That stuff isn't cheap, but it does work.
My front axle was a bit low, but very clean, so I just topped it off.

That pump, I did buy at advance. I wished I would have bought one of those years ago! I drained and filled my transfer case in record time! Outstanding!
The drain plug was clean, fluid was not that bad. But I wanted Valvoline Max life in it, so its done!
I need to figure out what I can run through that hand pump to clean it out, so I can use it for rear end fluid too??
2000 Xterra
#6 Old 11-12-2012, 04:06 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync will become famous soon enough
Garage
Freeze off / freeze it is D-shiznit

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
#7 Old 11-12-2012, 04:18 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyPgh View Post
Ya know...I have always swore by PB Blast. Which I still like....However.
I used the Freeze it, and I'll be damn! It worked.
That stuff isn't cheap, but it does work.
My front axle was a bit low, but very clean, so I just topped it off.

That pump, I did buy at advance. I wished I would have bought one of those years ago! I drained and filled my transfer case in record time! Outstanding!
The drain plug was clean, fluid was not that bad. But I wanted Valvoline Max life in it, so its done!
I need to figure out what I can run through that hand pump to clean it out, so I can use it for rear end fluid too??
to clean the pump out, drained my rear end into an open pan and sit for about 5 minutes pumping the old fluid through the pump. seemed to do the job pretty well. the thing still smells like tranny fluid, but then again so do all of my tools that I used when changing it.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#8 Old 11-13-2012, 05:32 AM
TJTJ
Sage Mentor/Moderator

TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold
Talking

PB Blaster is good if you need to dissolve rust. The diff plugs are rarely rusted though, they are more typically just thread jammed.

When over tightened, so the threads jam, the freeze stuff works better than blaster because it makes the plug and the threads for the hole contract at different rates, breaking their bond....and hitting the PLUG directly shrinks it so its less tight in the hole. (Spraying the hole like you are trying to get the stuff into the threads works less well, etc...)

I have in the past also just welded some bar stock to the diff plug in question...and used the bar to then turn the plug out....works like a charm.

-TJ

TJ's Build Thread ---> http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11532

DIYS http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16434

2001 Xterra SE, 2003 V6, 5 spd, Shrock Sliders, Bumpers and Skids, Warn 9.5xp Winch w/125' MasterPull II, OBA w/4Gal Tank & 4 CFM Compressor, Revolver Shackles, Deaver 3-Pack + Calmini 2-Pack + OEM Leaves, Bilstein 5150, SLR UCA, Diff Drop, 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x13.5/16 LTB's, Snorkel, Electric Fan Swap, etc...
#9 Old 11-13-2012, 07:52 AM
xtacular
Spaz

2002 Xterra
xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough
The hole is a little bigger than 1/2"- it's 13.1mm. If you can get your hands on a square shank socket in that size, which is super hard, you can put way more torque on it. I've had to borrow one twice for my tranny and it saved me.

2002 Super Black 5 Speed 4x4
AC Shackles/UCAs, 2" BL, 33x10.5" BFG ATs on Desert Runners, ARB front bumper, Skid Row rear bumper, Calmini IAB, AC HD TRAs, Bandit 4x4 idler arm bushings, Bilsteins, K&N CAI, Magnaflow muffler, Doug Thorley Headers, some audio stuff, backup camera.
Shovel Mount
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.