#1 Old 11-09-2012, 12:24 PM
dtanner
Noob

2010 Xterra
dtanner is on a distinguished road
4x4 Question? 2010 off road edition

I have a 2010 Xterra off-road edition.
just hit 52k miles the other day.

Not sure if I have cause for concern or not it's under warranty so I guess I've already answered my own question and that is take it in and let the pros look but here it is anyway.

The truck will go into 4 high without an issue however, I can't get it to go into 4 low in addition the rear diff locker won't engage. I think it has to successfully get into 4 low for that to work though right? 4 High & Hill decent control both work flawlessly it will go in and out of 4 high HDS will turn on and off with no errors.

Sound like something simple or a ticking time bomb?
2010 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Airmapper

2011 Xterra
Airmapper is on a distinguished road
Garage
Just to eliminate it as an issue, and start with the simple stuff, you are shifting into neutral and coming to a stop before attempting to engage 4LO?

You are correct that you must be in 4Lo for the rear diff lock to engage.

I'd try it again a few times, read the procedure in the manual and follow it to the letter. That will make sure it is an issue before you take it in. Mine is kind of picky about going in and out, but once you get the "procedure" down pat it works well.

2011 Xterra PRO-4X 6MT

2011 Xterra
#3 Old 11-09-2012, 12:56 PM
dtanner
Noob

2010 Xterra
Thanks

Yeah, I've read the procedure manual and done it at least I think exactly as described.

I've even used past experience tricks like rolling back, moving forward a few feet at idle ect.
I'll give it another go just to be sure but I guess the only way to know for sure would be take it in and let them check it out. Seems like if there was a problem especially as new as it is there would be a warning light on the dash saying something.
2010 Xterra
#4 Old 11-10-2012, 05:06 AM
Fzzt

2009 OR Xterra
Fzzt has a spectacular aura about them Fzzt has a spectacular aura about them
On mine, I found I had to press the brake pedal harder than I would have thought in order for it to go into low. You can't be moving at all.
Also, give it a few seconds to do its thing, don't just bang the switch and hit the gas. Wait till the instrument cluster shows its in 4lo or locked.

Traded in all my project cars for a new Xterra, not an ounce of buyers remorse. My build thread
2009 OR Xterra
#5 Old 11-12-2012, 12:06 PM
dtanner
Noob

2010 Xterra
It's very picky... Took it out this weekend and sure enough it worked.
I did push the break in fairly hard, had it in Neutral and it snapped right in worked like a champ.
2010 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.