Is my 4WD okay? - Page 2 - Nissan Xterra Forum

#11 Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Xterra Mike
Silver Submarine

2001 SE Xterra
Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough
Garage
If you have time remove your front hubs and re grease them. The grease is there is probably old and they aren't allowing the hubs to disengage properly. A hub that is operating properly will disengage after a few feet if you simply let off the throttle. Since out trucks and hubs are old most of the time they don't operate properly and therefore you must reverse a few feet to disengage them. The sound you are hearing is the hubs are still partially engaged and grinding. The noise will get louder the faster you go.
2001 SE Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 Old 11-10-2012, 03:41 PM
BrewGuyTim

2002 Xterra
BrewGuyTim is on a distinguished road
When I had my '82 F-150, it still had the manual hubs. First sign of snow, the front hubs would get locked-in for the winter. That way I never had to worry about having to get out and do it when I needed 4WD.

In regards to re-greasing the hubs, sure. I you find an opportunity to do so, it should help them disengage a bit more easily.

Now, in regards to your wife driving it...Well, that's up to you to handle...
2002 Xterra
#13 Old 11-10-2012, 05:46 PM
TonyPgh
Seasoned

2000 Xterra
TonyPgh is on a distinguished road
Okay! Done Deal!
I took the hubs apart. There was old blackened grease that was runny on the outer bearings. The inners had decent grease on them still, to a certain point.
I did remove them, cleaned them out good, and regreased with lithium grease, and tested it out. Works better now! Thanks guys. I did notice the click when backing up about 6 feet.
But going forward now, when the hubs are locked in is fine. No more screaming!
The bearings all seemed fine, replaced the seals of course.
My wife....well. She likes the Xterra. And is a great driver, even babies it. She just thinks it cannot take any type of punishment, due to it being a newer truck. LOL
2000 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.