sethp
Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2001 Xterra
sethp is on a distinguished road
2001 xterra se tail light issue

alright so ive got a 2001 se v6 and im having trouble with my pass side tail light socket..

After having the tail light go out i popped it open and saw the bulb was loose and pushed it and it worked fine but it goes out about everyday so i checked the bulb socket (the bottom socket is the one having issues) it seems to have been warped or something and wont hold the bulbs.

i went to napa, auto zone, and advanced to try and just either buy or order the socket, no one seems to have it or has the ability to order it nissan wants 100+ for the entire assembly.

has anyone else had this issue or can point me in the right direction as to ordering this? ive been pulled over for the light being out and i just dont want a ticket...
thanks!!
seth
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Revu
Addict

2005 Xterra
Revu will become famous soon enough
What I did for my Fronty was change the socket to something more generic. Basically get a generic socket to seat the bulb and wire that into the harness in place of the old socket. Then carefully cut out the part of the socket that twists into the light housing and glue that to the generic socket using a high temperature threshold glue or silicone like gorilla glue. At least this is also how I converted cars with older style Japanese bulb sockets to more common ones found in regular parts stores to avoid having to special order bulbs. You've just gotta be sure to pick up a generic socket that's about the same size as the inner ring of your current socket.

Good luck!
2005 Xterra
post #3 of 3 Old 11-10-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
sethp
Noob

2001 Xterra
sethp is on a distinguished road
I actually just got back from a junk yard and just got the whole harness off a 2000 for 15 bucks plus a cup insert I was missing so I did alright lol.
Thanks for your help though!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Colorado Computer Engineering Student

2001 X SE Forest Green
PML []
Stock Intake Mod [X]
Paint Plastics [X]
Paint Roof Rack [X]
Plasti Dip Rims [X]
Removed Steps & Mud Flaps [X]
Off Road Light Rack[]
Fli Comp Speakers [X]
JBL Sub [X]
Straight Pipe Exhaust X[]
Yakima Load Warrior []
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.