brake wear warning indicator? - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 03-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Gnarly McSnarley

2003 Xterra
Gnarly McSnarley is on a distinguished road
brake wear warning indicator?

Have an '03 X - haven't changed brakes since I've owned it (bought it with 63k two years ago - now @ 90k). I heard a rattling, almost metal on metal noise this morning when driving. Appears to be coming from the front passenger side wheel. It went away when I applied the brakes. I'm at work so I can't look at the pads but was just wondering if there is a low brake pad warning indicator on the X like I've had in other cars/trucks.

Thanks for your help.
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 PM
dejablue

2002 &2003 Xterra
dejablue has a spectacular aura about them dejablue has a spectacular aura about them
yes thats probably what you are hearing ,i would not drive tell you fix the pads or you will damage some expensive parts and make a cheep brake job cost a lot.

Dennis
2002 &2003 Xterra
#3 Old 03-24-2010, 01:16 PM
BigDog107
Phreak

2000 Xterra
BigDog107 will become famous soon enough BigDog107 will become famous soon enough
No indicator.

If the brake light comes on on the X you better be ready to soon have no brakes....because your loosin fluid LOL

2000 Xterra - SOLD
Straight Pipes, Removed Intake Resonators, Drop In K&N, Lobo Rack, 33x12.50x15 Nokian Vatiiva MTs, Black Rock Lobo Rims, Herculined Panels And Trim, 4 Roof Lights, PML, 2'' BL, Add A Leaf, 10,000LB Promark Off Road Winch, Black Widow Roof Rack Basket, BigDog Fab Rear Tire Carrier, AC TRAs, HD TREs, AC IAB,

2002 F250 7.3 Powerstroke - NO RUST
Boss V Nose Plow
2000 Xterra
#4 Old 03-24-2010, 01:25 PM
baf6
Spaz

2000 Xterra
baf6 Totally Rocks baf6 Totally Rocks baf6 Totally Rocks baf6 Totally Rocks
there are indicators built into the pads up front, they are small little metal clips that, one the pad wears down to a point, they make contact with the rotors and make a screeching noise

no actual indicator light though, the BRAKE light just tells you if the parking brake is on or you are low on fluid
2000 Xterra
#5 Old 03-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Silver Dude
Phreak

2001 Xterra
Silver Dude will become famous soon enough Silver Dude will become famous soon enough
On some pads, on my pads there are no squealers. Though my new ones have them.
2001 Xterra
#6 Old 03-24-2010, 01:33 PM
carlosruben84
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
carlosruben84 is on a distinguished road
yup,, thats what it is... its telling you you are close to needing brakes.. you should still be good to where you havent damaged anything,, just take it and have it checked.
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.