Nissan XTerra Forum banner

P0445 but cant find leak with smoke test

10K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Ratt 
#1 · (Edited)
I just bought an 02 X. Literaly just driving home, I got the SES light. So I swung by Autozone and had the infamous P0455. I did a Hand Over Hand of all the pipeing, and couldnt find any cracks/leaks. So I bit the bullet and took it to the local shop. After an hour, they couldnt find any leaks and the P0445 code was still in.

What else could be the possible cause of this? Im at wits end, and am only solidifying my distaste for new-fangled cars.

Thanks for any help.
Andrew.

Edit, code is p0455, gross leak/no flow.

#4 ·
This is an evap system leak. Either your gas cap is loose, not installed or bad more than likely. if none of those problems then you have a evap canister or evap canister switch problem, or something in the hosing in the evap system. evap canister is the system that catches the evaporating gas coming from your gas tank and filters it through some kinds of charcoal in order to make it less harmful to the environment. it is located in the rear near the gas tank. check here for more information, click fuel system

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/xterra/2002_Xterra/fe.pdf

#6 ·
Yup . I traced all the lines couldn't find anything wrong. So I took it to a shop with a smoke machine. They hooked it up and couldnt find any leaks. What would cause this fault that isnt a leak ? This is the only fault code that I have.
thanks
Andrew

#7 ·
Yup . I traced all the lines couldn't find anything wrong. So I took it to a shop with a smoke machine. They hooked it up and couldnt find any leaks. What would cause this fault that isnt a leak ? This is the only fault code that I have.
thanks
Andrew
From the factory service manual

DTC P0455 EVAP CONTROL SYSTEM

POSSIBLE CAUSE

Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close.

Incorrect fuel tank vacuum relief valve

Incorrect fuel filler cap used

Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap.

Leak is in line between intake manifold and EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve.

Foreign matter caught in EVAP canister vent control valve.

EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks

EVAP purge line (pipe and rubber tube) leaks

EVAP purge line rubber tube bent.

Blocked or bent rubber tube to EVAP control system pressure sensor

Loose or disconnected rubber tube

EVAP canister vent control valve and the circuit

EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve and the circuit

Fuel tank temperature sensor

O-ring of EVAP canister vent control valve is missing or damaged.

EVAP control system pressure sensor

Refueling control valve

ORVR system leaks

All the factory service manuals are available online in PDF form here. For codes you want section EC (engine control) and P0455 begins on page 963. Start there and run through the possible causes.

Does your truck have a body lift?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.