Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Oil Pump Issue?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  davidc2478 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I need some expert advice.

How does one know if the Oil Pump needs to be replaced? I'm asking because I feel like the engine may not be getting enough oil. I notice some engine noise that reminds my of an old Hyundai I had. Whenever oil was low, you could hear a clacking sound. When I add oil, the clacking goes away. Well, on the X, I notice that the oil level remains the same. It's still pretty clean since I did an oil change about 3k miles ago. How can I tell if the X is being lubricated properly? I don't have a Engine light showing and the temps on the dash shows normal. But something just doesn't seem right. Now if you guys say a little clacking sound is normal, then I'll shut my mouth and have a coke and a smile. :thumbsup-big:

#3 ·
It sounds like the normal cold weather valve tapping of the second gens. If it is whining though, it will be the timing chain guide. The whine will grow with The RPMs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 · (Edited)
Hey thanks for the replies. I had the timing chain and tensioners replaced about a month ago, and that took care of the whining sound I was having before. What a difference that made! I'm not sure if Cam is the same as timing. I'll check into it.
I'll read more into Valve Tapping to get familiar with the symptoms. I live in Miami, so it doesn't get too cold here. I was thinking about using Seafoam through the fuel and oil to see if that helps any.

As a follow-up. I remembered that the autoshop changed the oil for me and put in 10w-30. I'm wondering if the extra weight is the cause of the noise. I'm not sure why he put in 10w rather than 5w. This was the first oil change I had done. I bought the X used about 2 weeks before the oil change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.