Nissan XTerra Forum banner

35s and IFS

12K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  KBCL 
#1 ·
First let me start off by saying I am building a set of axles for the truck so it won't remain IFS for longer than ~6 months... Plan is to run 35s on the new axles at first then step up to 37s later on.

Anyway... I found a local guy who wants to trade his 35x12.5x15 MT Baja Claws (radial version) for a set of 33s. He stopped by to look at my Duratracs and he is willing to do a straight across trade for my tires.

I have a 2" BL and a 3+" SL (my rear end is spring over instead of shackles plus AAL). I'd like a rough idea of how much trail carnage I can expect with the 35s and factory IFS. I am hard on the truck but I'm not a skinny-pedal-to-the-floor kind of driver. My front end is marginally beefed up with HD TRAs and an idler arm brace and my diffs will remain open until the new axles go in. I'm hoping I can get away with some moderate wheeling with the 35s without destroying the front end. I will plan on carrying an extra hub or two and the factory TRA as a spare.

Fender cutting is inevitable either now or in a few months, I know this already. I plan to cut my fenders similar to the truck below but with the inclusion of a fender tube tying my front bumper to my sliders (think beginning of an cage):

Who has run 35s on IFS and what do recommendations/warnings do you have for me? Plus if anyone has pics of flex/clearance or what trimming they did, that would be smokin.

See less See more
#2 ·
Alpha runs them but I Have not seen him on in a while, also Soccerbrac, but again he is a ghost... if you have 4.9 gears i could see it being ok, ive heard 4 low doesnt do well with the 35's... if you can do a straight trade i say do it, it will save you money in the long run... just be willing to know that you may be a tad unhappy with the gearing until the sas

#3 ·
Yes sorry I should have mentioned that I expect the truck to be a dog on the road with stock (4.6) gearing and 35s... It's not my DD anymore and the new axles are getting 538s so that will be a temporary issue.

#5 ·
What's the point of all of this if you are going to run 37s? Just save the money it will cost you to pick up the extra parts you'll have to carry and finish the axles and go straight to 37s.
Going to 35s with stock gears will suck and the duratracs are pretty popular, I'm sure you could sell them pretty easily when the time comes too.
I might buy them from you...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.