Nissan XTerra Forum banner

SE / XE How do you tell ?

41K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  beezl80 
#1 · (Edited)
What's the difference between the two. Is it the moon roof and interior upgrades. I'm looking to purchase a 2003 X and there is no SE / XE markings anywhere on the vehicle. The one I'm looking at the seller said it was the offroad version ?

#4 ·
mine is a 4wd s/c version with 6 disc changer but its not the fosgate system and no moon roof and mine doesnt say se or ex.

#9 ·
4x4 wasn't standard on any first gens, and Off Road edition as a package wasn't introduced until the 2005 (second gen). Typically, in the first gens, SE includes nicer upholstery (leather was an option available only in SE's), usually 17" wheels, and the premium stereo. The VIN should be able to identify trim level, but I don't know what codes are relevant to which trim level.

#10 · (Edited)
Mine says (Xterra SE) on the back hatch. And i don't think they made an OFF ROAD model untill 05

I have things like power windows, AC, 6 disc changer (not fosgate but it looks identical to one) Tilt wheel,LSD, Moon roof, ect.

Pretty sure if it's an SE it says it on the back. I think an XE can have everything a SE has but some of the stuff was an option and on an XE, And it was standard on an SE.

#11 ·
Research the versions on edmunds.com if it has 03 info. My 01 SE had additional items standard such as LSD. The VIN# will ID it, but not sure how to decipher now short of spending money for carfax.

#13 ·
ok from my observations

XE- interior black paneling and the headlight bezels are black
SE- interior silver paneling and the headlight bezels are silver

XE- 16inch 4 spoke
SE- 17inch 5 spoke

XE- no 6-cd changer (unless opted for) mine has it as XE
SE- Rockford Fostgate 6-cd

fogs were an option for XE, as well as 4wd

XE- the roof rack and side steps are a bright silver and you can see the XTERRA on the rack
SE- the roof rack and side steps are a dark grey where it's harder to read the roof rack Xterra...

#15 ·
Mine says (Xterra SE) on the back hatch. And i don't think they made an OFF ROAD model untill 05

I have things like power windows, AC, 6 disc changer (not fosgate but it looks identical to one) Tilt wheel, ect.

Pretty sure if it's an SE it says it on the back. I think an XE can have everything a SE has but some of the stuff was an option and on an XE, And it was standard on an SE.
X2 on what kbell2433 said. It "should" have a "SE" badge on the back. Of course those are easy to remove, but I would assume XE until proven otherwise. Look for power windows, mirrors, cruise, sunroof (you know, foo foo stuff). I've seen SE's come with standard body moldint (down the middle of the doors) and XE's not (although it could be an option). Haven't seen any SE's w/ steel wheels, though. Maybe give it a looksee.
Good luck!
rob g.

#16 ·
look at the sixth letter in the identification number in the door jam (not vin) for 2002 E=XE F=SE
steal rims=XE se only had aluminum rims xe did both.
no power windows=XE
moon roof= posable SE
4cilinder only came in XE
also if you do a vin search you should be able to tell.

#17 ·
ok from my observations

XE- interior black paneling and the headlight bezels are black
SE- interior silver paneling and the headlight bezels are silver

XE- 16inch 4 spoke
SE- 17inch 5 spoke

XE- no 6-cd changer (unless opted for) mine has it as XE
SE- Rockford Fostgate 6-cd

fogs were an option for XE, as well as 4wd

XE- the roof rack and side steps are a bright silver and you can see the XTERRA on the rack
SE- the roof rack and side steps are a dark grey where it's harder to read the roof rack Xterra...

Mine is an SE with 16" alloy 4 spoke rims....... Supercharged has the 17" rims

#18 ·
old thread but im trying to figure out what mine is. XE or SE?

ive got solid white custom body paint. (white body, white roof rack, white side step rails with black rubber step area of course, white front and back bumpers, white door trim. i think the guy who owned it before me, had it custom painted because ive never seen one like it.

power windows and locks, viper alarm with keyless entry, no moonroof, no foglights, aftermarket complete stereo (just took some old boston acoustic 6x9's out of the back and had them replaced. i thought the x's came with fosgate stock speakers.) 16" alloy wheels with silver caps, xterra branded carpet floormats, 3.3L V6 engine. automatic. no "se" or "xe" badge on the back hatch. non 4x4.

cant figure this out. the manual doesnt say either...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.