Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Blue Smoke

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  kms1990 
#1 ·
My 2002 xterra got (I believe) sludged up with the oil, showed very little oil in pan after I put some oil in. Napa recommended an oil change and put in some engine clean and run for 15 minutes. did this then changed oil. Now I have blue smoke pouring out of the exhaust, real bad. Did another oil change, all of the previous oil did come out. Still tons of blue smoke. Changed the PCV valve still the same. Any ideas?

#5 ·
Oil Smoke

Really weird, took the xterra on a longer run on the highway, After 15 miles the blue smoke stopped and everything looked good. Then on Wednesday the oil light came on, checked and the dipstick showed no oil. Figured I should have topped it up after the blue smoke incidence. Got 4 quarts and put in started engine and in a few minutes all sounded good, light went off. Checked the oil and it was full. Checked it yesterday morning and still looked good. Checked it this morning and the dipstick was dry, showed no oil. Put a quart in and checked again, showed full, started engine let idle for 5 minutes, no smoke, nothing. turned engine off and checked oil, showed full. What is going on?

#7 ·
It sounds like the cats were clogged with oil and sludge, once burned out, the sytem cleaned and all is good!
You were lucky! Now only use synthetic oil, if you expect your cats to last!

#9 ·
Four very expensive catalytic converters in the exhaust system.
Not something you would want to replace, if you are in an area that checks smog control!

#11 · (Edited)
Itsme. Am I reading correctly? He stated that he has to keep adding oil? If that is the case he is not good. If he does not need to add any oil and he has no blue smoke then he is in the clear.
There may be ring damage that will require getting deep into the engine, but when the blue smoke stopped, It sounded like a good sign.
If the engine continues to eat oil, it may be bad rings, or the air filter may be clogged up. The engine needs air and if it can not get it from the intake, it will get it from around the rings. When it does that, it will eat all the oil fast! The enine will not have much power either.
I don't believe the valve seals are the issue here. They would not eat all of the oil very quickly.
I hope this clears up the confusion somewhat.

#12 ·
i agree with its me on all but the air filter part, even if you cannot breathe through it, it can still pull air as its forced into it and some will get by plus its computer controlled and will adjust for the air volume it gets so it will lack power if air filter is clogged. sounds to me like his sludge was burning off as i had an engine flush done to an old car like he had and it did same thing. Its because sludge is thick and clogged up on the rings and in oil passages the flush has to force it somewhere and it usually re-liquifies it and causes it to burn off, my old car that ha that flush burned about 6qts of oil before it stopped and had blue smoke like no other. but its god sign that it stopped. if it idles fine and runs fine and doesnt smoke i wouldnt worry anymore. if a dash warning is on though i would worry. doesnt sound like any dmage to me sounds like it had a ton of ludge and had to burn it off

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.