Nissan XTerra Forum banner

High pitched squealing sound

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  proudxterraowner 
#1 ·
I just noticed when I was leaving school earlier that there is a low but very high pitched squeal coming front the front right tire area it really only does it when I'm turning left but not right. It sounds as if my break pads may be extremely worn and are like barely touching the disc like maybe metal against metal. Any ideas??

Hunter

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#2 ·
could be the brakes. Mine started off more or less like that. after a couple weeks it was a constant loud squeal. Wheel bearings and cv joints can make similar noises, but they should be more constant. I would say jack up the front and see if you have any play in either of the front wheels. If not it doesnt rule out wheel bearings, but I would focus more on brakes.

I assume you dont have any vibrations when driving.

#3 ·
Alright thanks hopefully I can do this sometime this weekend

#4 ·
The only thing thats really a pain with the brakes is compressing the pistons. The x has 2 pistons on each caliper and I couldnt get them to compress together so I would compress one as far as I could and then move the clamp and compress the other side. I had to move it back and forth a couple of times before it was fully compressed. Still not hard, but consumes a bit more time than I am used to. Use the old break pad and a C clamp to compress them. Open your break fluid reservoir and put a couple of towels around it to catch any fluid that might come out. It shouldnt be an issue unless you have added fluid at some point. A lot of people do it thinking they need to top off the fluid, but its a sealed system so if your fluid is low you either have a leak or your pads need changed.

#6 ·
Is there some way I can upload a vid from my phone via the app? I got a vid of what it sounds like

#7 ·
get a photobucket account and you can upload vids and images with the mobile app. and then post the link for the vid here.

#10 ·
Also I didn't have the brake pressed down hopefully it is the brakes

#11 ·
Just for fun, check your power steering fluid level. My old BMW made that same kinda noise when turning when it was leaking PS fluid. Simple check just to eliminate it from consideration if nothing else.

#12 ·
Good idear I know my X has a PS fluid leak cause I've had to add fluid before because of the weird noise. Will do

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.