Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Need Some Expertise Please

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Jack Stilts 
#1 ·
I'm running a bone stock '01 X. Factory wheels. Factory tire size. It has the Toyo Open Country A/T's on it right now but theyre a little dry rotted, although they have probably a good 7-8/32 tread depth AT LEAST. I was considering maybe getting a new set of tires before winter comes in case we get a lot of snow, that way, i can go play in it and not "worry" about making it home or not(which i really dont have a reason to believe I wouldn't, it's just a good excuse to get some gnarlier tires. haha)...Anyway, I've been doing some searching and I'm either decided on the Grabber AT2's or the Yoko Geolander A/T. My question is, what is the absolute largest tire size I can run without a lift of any sort and without trimming any of the plastics? I plan on lifting it in the future and running 32's or 33's but for now, im just gonna remove the mudflaps(if that will matter-if not, im still removing them because it looks better without them!) and go from there. Also, I'm thinking of maybe getting some of the oh-so-popular black steelies to go on for now too. More than likely 15's...Any help/info is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

#2 ·
If you aren't willing to trim anything, nor lift it you are better off sticking to stock size. What size is on it now? If you want to lift it, why not just do it now? Doesnt make sense to buy tires, just to turn around and buy another set. To fit 33s you will have to trim plastic. Plus with getting steelies you probably will want a wider stance. With less backspace than stock, you will run into rubbing issues. I ran 32x11.5x15 on cragar soft 8s with 4.75" backspace and they rubbed a ton. So either stick to stock size with stock rims, stick with stock rims and go with a larger tire (32") and trim, or lift it (at least a body lift) get new steelies with less backspace than stock and put 33s

As far as tires, I would suggest the Goodyear Duratracs. They are great in the snow.

#4 ·
If you aren't willing to trim anything, nor lift it you are better off sticking to stock size. What size is on it now? If you want to lift it, why not just do it now? Doesnt make sense to buy tires, just to turn around and buy another set. To fit 33s you will have to trim plastic. Plus with getting steelies you probably will want a wider stance. With less backspace than stock, you will run into rubbing issues. I ran 32x11.5x15 on cragar soft 8s with 4.75" backspace and they rubbed a ton. So either stick to stock size with stock rims, stick with stock rims and go with a larger tire (32") and trim, or lift it (at least a body lift) get new steelies with less backspace than stock and put 33s

As far as tires, I would suggest the Goodyear Duratracs. They are great in the snow.
I am willing to trim, but if I dont have to, why do it? Right now it has the 265/55/16's on it. If I could afford to lift it right now, I would, believe me. Maybe I will just stick to factory size tires for now and just get something more aggressive. I actually decided on the Soft 8's(Pacer not Cragar) or a set of Black Rock wheels. Honestly, when I asked this, I was just worried about running a 30 or 31 x 9.50/10.50. I didnt want to go 32's or 33's stock height, which I figured wouldn't be possibly anyway. Not THAT big. When I DO lift it, I was just planning on running a suspension lift. No body lifts. I dont like the look of them, but to each their own. I'll check out the Duratrac's later on! Thanks.

#6 ·
265/70/16 is stock on my 04 X, which is considered a 31" diamter...30.6" is the overall calculation

31x10.5 is essentially the standard/inches equivalent to the metric 265/70/16...Directly calculating and converting 265/70/16 comes up with 30.6 X 10.4 R16

Interestingly enough, I still had to trim a little bit of the mud flaps/plastic trim with a dremel to get the stock size tires back on after I removed and repainted all the plastics. The mud flaps have a little flange/ridge that sticks into the wheel well. It was catching on that during turns. So even though they were stock size and balded tires, just the tolerances of screwing the plastic back to the body was enough to allow it to hit the tires. It is mostly non-visible plastic to trim anyway and took about 5 minutes.

I'm not sure if 2001 has different tire sizes for the stock X, but I would think you should be able to run 265/70/16 without a problem...

For a 15 inch rim... It looks like the equivalant overall diamter is 265/75/15...which also comes to a 30.6" overall diamter

#7 ·
Pretty close to stock means it's almost the same size as the stock tire. My '02 has 265/70/r16, which is about a 31 inch tire. Does yours have 15 inch rims? My GF has a 2000 model and it has 15s

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

#8 ·
My stock tires were 265/65/17 on my 02. When I sold them to someone with an '00 X, we swapped them on and did have to do some trimming. The tires were stock for me, but obviously not for them. The front is all you will have to worry about.

#9 ·
update: i went and started pricing wheels and tires. checked on 265/70/16 Grabber AT2's and Gear Alloy Blackjack wheels. i figured the combo would look good on the X. that was @ a month ago...this morning, i get home from work, lay in bed beside the g/f and fall asleep. she wakes me up telling me her and the kids are going to her grandma's. no big deal. i have to sleep all day so i can work tonight. i get woken up @ 3:30pm. its her..."i need your help with something"...so i meander outside and voila!! its a good thing she got me factory sizes instead of the 265's like i checked on(and it worked out because the guy i talked to, is a tire store i used to work at, so once she met him the other weekend, she went and talked to him and just wound up getting factory size). stock size rubs BAD on the front. i guess because of brand new knobby tires and the bumper being somewhat messed up from previous owners. i took off the passenger side front bumper "extension" so it wouldnt rub so bad. but its still rubbing the back on that side and rubbing front and back on the drivers side. i have to work until 7am so when i get off im gonna go to dads and do the trimming and whatever else i have to do. other than though, im ecstatic. i love them. gave it an all new attitude!

Attachments

#10 ·
265/75r16 on stock rims

I've got an '04 4x4 and just installed some GoodYear Duratrac 265/75r16's on stock rims with no suspension mods at all. They fit perfect. I did have one very very minor rub at full turn on the right front splash guard. If the tire wore down about 1/8" it would not have touched. So I removed the splash guard and no more problem.

There were lots of threads on this topic and I found this size to be the largest size with no mods. Stock wheels are key to fitting this size on there.

Good luck

#11 ·
I'm really confused with the conversion from metric to standard on tires. I see that 265/70/16 are approximately 31". Does someone have the conversion formula (if there is one) to figure out on my own without having to either physically measure the tire or keep asking the question?

#12 ·
On my 04 2wd I've got Falken Rocky Mountain 265/75/16 on stock rims, barely caught the corner of the mudflaps. They were $40/ea off because they ordered the wrong size (I ordered 265/65/16). Winning!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.