Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Gen II Cross contamination settelment

9K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  2005XterraV6 
#1 ·
I just got a letter statting that there is a class action settelment with Nissan about the 2005-2010 Pahtfinders, Frontiers, and Xterras leaking tranny oil into the radiator and damaging both engine and tranny. It looks like they will only fix it if it has had this problem and falls into the millage and time requirements.

Mine is a 2006 Xterra with about 50k miles on it and no issues yet.

Has anyone else got this letter?

Has anyone had this issue?

Is it something to realy worry about?

I would like to catch this problem before it causes any major problems. Is something more to watch for other than oil in the radiator?

#3 ·
I'm rarely here, but wanted to come in to make sure people are aware of this. I actually got two letters - one sent to where I lived when I bought it, and one sent to my current residence. If you haven't received one, call Nissan ASAP. I ignored it because mine has a manual transmission.

For what its worth, you can file a claim, from what I understood, ONLY if you had repairs done and paid out of your own pocket for it. It looks like the lawsuit is for reimbursement only.

#6 ·
No, it was addressed around 2008 or 9. I think this is why they went to Matic S.

#8 ·
I got the same letter a couple days ago. I haven't had any symptoms of SMOD yet - knock on wood - on my 07 X and hope and pray I don't. I haven't had a claim yet but went on and filled out and sent the letter back. Never hurts.

It's crap Nissan has "extended" the warranty on the vehicles that are mentioned in the letter with < 100K miles and they'll fix it after a $3500 deductible.

#10 ·
$6100 from the DAMN DEALERSHIP!!!!!! This is a very serious issue and it's being brought to the attention of 05-10 Frontier, Xterra, Pathfinders... We bought our X in February of last year and by September the truck wouldn't even crank up anymore. This will fill like a small miss or slip at first around 45-50mph and then you will have problems with acceloration(spell?) and this can cause serious accidents if you are in traffic or coming onto on ramps. I had mine done at a shop that wasn't owned by Nissan. This is an issue where the coolant from the radiator will mix with the transmission fluid and you'll have a mess on your hands. Idk if they will help us or just shoot down the lawsuit because as of now Nissan is denying all and any problems or "defects". Good luck with all ya'll who have this problem and try to fight it.

#11 ·
I got this in the mail a few days ago as well and taking my Xterra to the shop to get the tranny fluid checked. My wife and I purchased our used 2008 Xterra S in late 2010, and a month later, we had some acceleration issues past 60 mph when driving onto the interstate. It did feel like something was slipping at the higher speeds.

Dealership checked it out and found really dark BLACK transmission fluid - stuff that is clearly not meant to be in the transmission but couldn't figure what it was. Thankfully, they reimbursed me for the transmission flush.

Fast forward present date, I have reason to believe it was coolant with this case going on. Since the problem was never fixed, it possibly could reoccur.

If I am reading this proposal correctly, it still sucks because we would be responsible for the $2500 initial cost (8 yrs or 80,000-90,000 miles) or $3000 (9 yrs or +90,000 miles) and then Nissan would pitch in after. I hate law jargon so someone correct me if I am wrong. I guess if the amount was exuberant like +$6000 in the previous post, some assistance is better than nothing, but its not our fault Nissan has this issue. It is their fault!

#12 ·
Yeah man you read it correctly. You have to cover the initial $2500 and they MAY cover the rest. This lawsuit might not happen. They are in discussion and who knows. I've never been so pissed about something like this and the company is denying any responsibility on their part. Get your stuff checked out man and I think I might have seen something where there is a mod for this?? Good luck

#13 ·
Yeah man you read it correctly. You have to cover the initial $2500 and they MAY cover the rest. This lawsuit might not happen. They are in discussion and who knows. I've never been so pissed about something like this and the company is denying any responsibility on their part. Get your stuff checked out man and I think I might have seen something where there is a mod for this?? Good luck
Thanks, man. I did get the transmission fluid checked out by a trusted mechanic that I normally use and it checked out fine. No indication of coolant in it. I guess this is something I need to monitor more frequently. Take care.

#15 ·
When the fluids mix its too late. Best to bypass the atf cooler in the radiator now. Remove the radiator skidpate, switch two hoses, replace the skidplate and you're done. It costs nothing and only takes a few minutes.

#16 · (Edited)
Pilotboy. If you trust your mechanic have him do a radiator bypass mod. If when you flushed the transmission fluid and it has not re-occured yet and everything feels back to normal then have your Mechanic do a radiator bypass mod. Many many people on here and THEnewX.org Have done it. GOogle "Radiator Bypass Mod Xterra".

You can save yourself that 2500 because any auto parts store sells generic external transmission coolers. This will Fix your problem regarding the mixing fluid.

here you go

Check it out.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25955

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30289

#17 ·
I took my 2005 xterra with 65k on it to the dealer last week.
It had the Pink Milkshake Of Death on the trans dipstick.
No slipping, chugging or noise yet.

Nissan is giving me a FREE transmission. FREE radiator.

They are also doing the fuel sending unit. FREE. (It crapped out, no fuel gauge reading)

Oh, FREE 2013 Rogue loaner for a week.

#19 ·
I did receive a letter, filled it out and send it in. I have a 2005 X. I haven't had any problems but the dealership changed out my old radiator about a year ago telling me the issue with SMOD. So I went ahead and replaced my radiator which at the time nothing was wrong with it. Nevertheless, I still submitted the lawsuit form and pretty much told them that I only changed it at the advice of the dealership. I hope to get that money back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.