Nissan XTerra Forum banner

High pitched noise when idling

9K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  SeanL 
#1 ·
Hey, I hope you guys might be able to help me out. My 2001 Xterra is making a very high pitched squealing noise when I put it into drive. Once I accelerate the noise stops, with one little squeal every now and then. As soon as I come to a complete stop the noise comes back. I don't get the noise when I am in park or neutral.

#2 ·
Hmm that sounds interesting.

Can you try and give us a little more information as to maybe where the noise sounds like it's coming from? towards the front of the X, under the the X? Does it get louder if you try turning the steering wheel while idling?

Being that it goes away when accelerating at first made me want to say serpentine belt, but that would be squealing while in park or neutral when the truck is first turned on. So another thing that could be giving some squealing is the power steering pump if the oil is getting dirty.

Good luck! :biggrin:

#3 · (Edited)
Hey, thanks for the quick response. The noise comes from the front-right if your in the drivers seat. Since I have to put it in drive to hear it, I can't get out to better locate it.

It does seem to get a little louder when I turn the steering wheel. Also, it doesn't start until after a bit of driving, after I warm the X up.

I noticed the power steering fluid seemed low so I put some lucas power steering fluid leak in there.

#5 ·
I have the same kind of thing....it is a faint, high pitched whine/squeal...can't quite put my finger on where it comes from...know it is the front right of the engine bay though

I did have a power steering leak, and just recently re did the hose clamps at the reservoir...maybe I need to check that again.

if you find what it is, let me know!

#6 · (Edited)
Everything you guys are saying points to improper tension on your PS Pump Belt.

@revu it is a 1st gen so no serpentine belt. There are drive belts.
The PS pump happens to be on the right side of the engine bay FROM your drivers seat. It is on the Left from outside looking under the hood. There is a Lock and a Tensioner tucked below the pulley "Brackets" Tension it and see if it stops the problem OR take the belt completely off and see if the noise stops. Warning you will have NO power steering so do not go far!

You mentioned that "It does seem to get a little louder when I turn the steering wheel. Also, it doesn't start until after a bit of driving, after I warm the X up."

This makes me really believe it is Power steering related.

The PS pump dying whine is a little different then the Belt squeak. You have to find out which is it.

@ rob You said that it was on the front right as well. Chances are yours is the belt as well. If you think it is the pump get a doctors scope thing and use it to determine if it is the PS pump if it is not I am fairly certain it is one of your belts. more often than not the PS belt.

#7 ·
when i did all 3 of my belts on my first gen 3.3 the p/s one was a snug fit, almost too snug and whined so i took it off and found out what was said above by shifting skies, you need to check that tension and then you may also want to spray the belts with belt conditioner from crc (little red/white spray can usually found with other sprays at the auto parts store) it helps it grip better and makes the rubber more resistant to chemicals and the such. but also check your hoses for any minor leaks you may not have noticed.

#9 ·
whats odd is my x and my old pathy with same engine never had p/s issues but both had belt squeals from the p/s belt when i replaced them, i think the aftermarket belts are just measured out slightly wrong and you need to adjust for it.

#10 ·
High pitched noise

I have 2001 the problem Im haveing the high pitched noise is when you start applying the brakes ethier starting to stop and while you setting still at stop light its sounds like its on the right side no smells of anything. any thoughts
THANKS GUYS STACY:kalt-big:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.