Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Trouble codes p0325, p0300, and p1126

17K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  lacasa 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 xterra, and it is running like crap.. In the past day it has had a hard time even making it up to 35mph, pinging, missing, and service soon light flashing at me.. Somebody please point me in the right direction to solve this issue.. I just don't want to buy a bunch of parts that I don't need.. Thanks..

#2 ·
With the p0300 (mutli-cylinder misfire) I'd ask when did you last change the plugs and wires? Also, how many miles are on the distributor? Same codes came up on ours (well minus the p1126) and it was the spark plugs and distributor (well I also changed the wires)

#4 ·
Get the codes read, so we can get you the best answers, to save you money!
The distributor is suspect though!

#6 ·
Found this on another forum where it lists p1126 also as thermostat operation:

At our dealer we had some cars with the P1126 code, and replacing the thermostat have take car of the problem, but the possible causes are:

- Thermostat function
- Leakage from sealing portion of thermostat
- Engine coolant temperature sensor
As for the distributor.. one thing you can do is pop the cap and rotor off, and after those are off take out the two philips head screws and remove the dust shield. Look down in there and see if you can see any metal flakes (look blackish). If you do, that tends to mean the bearing down there is shot.

Here's the pic of the distributor that was in our X.. changed the plugs, wires, and blew the crap out of down in the distributor (plus new cap and rotor) and got another 2 months out of it before it started missing under load. Ended up replacing it and ripping the guts out of the bad one and found this for a bearing

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27595

#7 ·
I did take the dust shield off today when I had the cap, and rotor off.. Didn't notice any shavings, but wasn't really looking for any.. I have noticed a bit of noise coming from the passenger cover for the past few months.. Sounded light a slight taping at about 17 to 2500 rpm's.

#9 ·
Take some good advice on the Chiltons: Throw it in the round file and download the factory manuals here!
Forget about the P0325 code, if it is not supercharged
P1126 is thermostat
P0300 is multiple misfire and is most likely the distributor has failed. You need to get the right one, as many have had troubles with some brands.

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19560&highlight=distributor+replacement

You need to know it can also be other sensors, so you need to know that too. Like the crank position sensor, etc.

If you remove the cap and look under the dust cover and see pieces of rusty metal at the bottom of the distributor, it is most likely toast, or maybe just a shot bearing.

#10 ·
I had a nasty noise coming from the passenger side too, and it seemed to do it worse as it warmed up (kinda like a rod knock-ish sound) that seemed to be the sound of the bad distributor carrying in the block (both the father-in-law and the ex-mechanic turned landscape neighbor said that's what it appeared to be to them.. plus it needed swapped anyhow). Swapped in the new one and that knocking-ish sound went away as well.

I obviously can't say for 100% that's your issue, but it matches up with what we ran into.

#12 ·
Take some good advice on the Chiltons: Throw it in the round file and download the factory manuals here!
Forget about the P0325 code, if it is not supercharged
P1126 is thermostat
P0300 is multiple misfire and is most likely the distributor has failed. You need to get the right one, as many have had troubles with some brands.

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19560&highlight=distributor+replacement

You need to know it can also be other sensors, so you need to know that too. Like the crank position sensor, etc.

If you remove the cap and look under the dust cover and see pieces of rusty metal at the bottom of the distributor, it is most likely toast, or maybe just a shot bearing.
Im showing similar codes (P0505, P1126 and P0325)
the code scanner on -1126 gave me manufacturer control fuel/air metering

also, P0325 says its a knock sensor malfunction, can I ask why I should ignore this ? (I dont have a SC tera)
I need to learn more about these vehicles...
:engel-big:

what we put together with those 3 codes coming up was there was a problem with the IAC, which resulted in the CPU throwing the other 2 codes.

but if -1126 is thermostat that blows our theory right out the window...
I should also note that my truck runs fine, starts great on cold start, but takes a few split seconds longer when the engine is warm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.