Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Getting hot at speed

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  robcarync 
#1 ·
My 04 xterra recently blew a heater hose and overheated. Replaced hose refilled coolant and bled system several times. It still would get hot so I replaced thermostat and then fan clutch. Now gets hot only after 30 to 40 minutes of highway driving at speed. I will pull off hwy and kill motor for only 10 or 15 minutes and it will return to normal temp. I decided to replace the water pump but then I notice the heater isnt working very well. Could this be the problem? Clogged heater core hindering circulation? Anybody? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Sounds like you still have air in the system. its possible that your heater core is holding a lot of air since your heat inst working. I would suggest using the bleeder valve on the top of the intake plenum for bleeding, also make sure your reservoir has some fluid in it to help fill the system a bit as your driving. also squeeze your radiator hoses while the truck in running if your not doing that. that will help pull force some of that air out.

#3 ·
Check your radiator on the outside for dirt/garbage/bugs for clogs. The heater should not effect the cooling of the engine. The waterpump may be shot. The radiator cap should be replaced, as it can cause your symptoms too!

#4 ·
I always get hotter the faster I go...

OH...you meant your truck....nevermind

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.