Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Headlight

23K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  platanojavid 
#1 ·
Ok my headlight bulb on the passenger side is out. when i have my brights on tho it works or am i a dummy and its 2 different bulbs in there? i also wanna know how you change the bulb, if any of you recommend doin that first.

#2 · (Edited)
its one bulb working as running low beam and high beam. the buld socket is easy to remove just twist it off. its right behind your headlight bucket.

#5 ·
Mine's a 2001 so it may be slightly different but when I swapped mine out, I had to twist it out.
Also, Check the headlight bulb FIRST before you go and replace it.
I got the bulb according to the manual and it did not fit, turns out it was a different bulb needed cuz when I looked in the burnt out bulb, it was totally different.

#7 ·
oookk...after 2 hrs of agrivation finally got it. here's the story:
taking off the wiring harness-15 mins. there is absolutely no hand space where im working here.
taking off that other clamp. bout 30 mins. you gotta pull up on it and not push down. thnx xterra owner's guide. not! lol
taking the bulb out 2 secs.
new bulb in 45 min. i tried to push it in for about 10 mins, then i called a friend to come help and he couldnt get it in either. Stay with me people, no gutter minds. lol. so we started comparing the bulbs almost identical. one difference. the bulb i NEEDED was a 9004 and the bulb the autozone guy said i needed was a 9007. the 9007 is about 1cm too wide. go back to autozone go home and in no longer than 30 secs. light's in and clamp on, and harness connected. and i got lights. it was dark and rainin too. i also found a spare oil cap. must be from the previous owner cuzz i havent lost mine.

#11 ·
For adjusting the headlight up or down; you'll see a little bolt (8mm I believe) behind the headlight housing. It's easy to spot as it has a little washer between it and the housing that looks like a little gear. Get your 8mm open end or gear wrench on that bolt and turn it until your headlights are adjusted where you need them. Helps to be on level ground and facing a wall where you can see the beam pattern. Simple job, shouldn't take you more than a few minutes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.