Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Are stock BFG Rugged Trail tires junk?

4K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  yogi56 
#1 ·
I had a flat on my one month old Xterra on the stock BFG Rugged Trail tires. It was a rather large rock that penetrated the thread and evidently ruined the tire. I had to replace it with the full size spare. Anyone else have issues with the tire? They must be really soft. A buddy of mine told me they would wear out quickly. I am looking for recommendations for replacement at some point down the road.. thanks in advance.. John

#3 ·
Most people who buy a Pro-4X truck will still never take it off road. Nissan knows this so they put a tire on stock that looks mildly aggressive but is still a street tire - not one that's built with tougher side walls and linings. If you take your X to places where pits, holes, and large rocks are a concern, I'd definitely look to upgrade to something like the BFG ATs as Mike said. It's a tougher tire and will get better off road traction too.

There are other options though if price is a concern (especially since you just got the truck) that will do a comparatively good job without costing quite as much. I've been really happy with my Nitto Terra Grappler ATs, and I've run Yokohama Geolander ATs on an older vehicle without complaints.

Since I'm sure the other tire you have are still good, I'd consider trading them or selling them "mildly used" to someone who doesn't need the AT type tire. It could help take care of at least some of the cost of four new tires.

#4 ·
I hate the Rugged Trails. They don't seem to be wearing too fast, but maybe that is because I want them off. Like was mentioned though, I really don't want to pay for a new set of tires a few months after buying a truck....

So far dry pavement is about the only place they seem to do well. On wet pavement they are like riding on ice, off road they are just good enough to keep you moving, but no real grip.

Any set of AT's will be an improvement.

#7 ·
Mine were ok and took me to all kinds of places they shouldn't, even lasting 45k miles.
I only had 1 flat (nail), 1 slow leak (from crawling over sharp pieces of basalt in E WA).
Biggest thing was regulating the tire pressure. Make sure you aren't over inflating them.

I instantly noticed a difference off road when I put the bfg at's on, especially in off camber situations where the rig could slide sideways, now I can hold my line with ease.
On highway the AT's are a bit more squirrely as the old ones were obviously slanted for on road performance but they still ride great with only a bit more noise, nothing like a MT.

#8 ·
One of the biggest things is probably the plys. They are probably just the standard P-metric rated tires. If you are very concerned with weak tires you can always opt for some big ol 10 ply E-rated rubber!

#10 ·
New Goodrich Rugged Trail

I just put the BF Goodrich Rugged Terrains with the updated tread design on. They're E rated so I notice a stiffer ride but decent as far as road noise. Discount did a tire match balance and the freeway ride is good. The new tread design is good looking and more aggressive than the original equipment with a 50,000 mile tread life (pro rated of course)

The X is lighter than any full size truck, so ride will always be harder going to a 10 ply

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.