Nissan XTerra Forum banner

2008 xterra Automatic Transmission filter?

8K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  mexfdmnb 
#1 ·
I am planning to change the automatic transmission fluid and checked the manual to see where the filter was to replace it as well. There is no mention of a automatic transmission filter in the manual nor did I see on on the drawings. Is that true, the Xterra does not have one ?

#2 ·
It does, but it's internal to the tranny and Nissan does not recommend regular replacement. Some people add an external filter.

#4 ·
J was replaced by S (probably after they realized the SMOD problem). I have a 1st gen (Matic-D) and run Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc with no problems, but you will never go wrong with the factory fluid. Can you use Casterol? If it lists compatibility with Matic J/S then yes. Should you? :shrug:

As for the filter, it looks like it's under the control valves, like in the 1st gen tranny, but Nissan now wants you to replace the entire valve/TCM/filter assembly as one unit. If the filter is anything like mine, it's a simple wire mesh to keep the large pieces out of the works; no real 'filtering'.

#6 ·
This reply is prob a little late but why not share my info, my x has 87K on it I did the tranny/rad mod and while I was at it i Did the tranny drain and change (aprox 4.5q 2nd gen) I used castrol high mileage just make sure it sais recommended use for nissan matic types. test drove shifts smooth and easy and nice ride

#8 ·
I just picked up an 05 xterra yesterday, Now doing a little research it would seem I should look into this issue.

Iv looked into this SMOD bypass
Should I have the transmission inspected?
Was the mod difficult to do?
Is there any concerns in doing the mod?

If it will make you sleep easier at night you can have it inspected.
When you drain your tranny fluid it should be a dark red color when mine came out it was brownish with a little red tint. It was definitely time for a change.

The mod was not difficult to do you seriously only move 2 lines. you need to remove the skid plate. So all you'll need is a 10mm socket + ratchet and some pliers, there's diy threads on this site.

The only concern Ive read was if you live in a warmer climate and do a lot of towing you might want to add another external cooler, I heard the plate ones are better than tube/fin types you can get one for around 50-60 $ or one with a fan for bout 100-130$

Hope this Helped!

#10 ·
Thanks for the reply Mex,

I brought this issue up with a co-worker of mine who has owned an xterra for years and was not aware of this issue. He is looking into adding an additional cooler. I don't do any towing and the pacific northwest here is averagely cool out side of summer.

#11 ·
mike no prob I just thought Id bring it up as far as filter goes I didnt change the filter on mine here is the link http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25955 it will explain what you need to do and give you the option for another external tranny cooler, it is still winter here so i have not installed another cooler I probably will before I go pick up my car and haul it back home.

gsxr if he wants to do the mod show him that link itll show him exactly what he needs to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.