Nissan XTerra Forum banner

2001 Xterra

6K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  birddog01 
#1 · (Edited)
I just bought a 2001 Xterra with 122,000 miles on it and was wondering if it'd be worth it to modify or not. I currently have 31 in tires on it, and am looking to give it a slight lift, get some roof lights, and just all around improve it. If the mileage is too high, I dont want to spend the money to do all of this and then as soon as im done, it to die on me. So, should I or should I not?

If I should what do you suggest I do? I'm looking to do it cheap, as between my buddy and I are very familiar with any type of welding, engine parts, and anything car related, we can do all of the work needed. I want good perfomance on road, just as much as offroad. Much similar to the guy at xterra101.com.
I pretty much want a good looking, capable in any situation, still powerful Xterra, for as little as possible.

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome! First, 122k is GREAT for an 01. Ensure that maintenance has been kept UTD. Fluid changes, filters, timing belt, etc. Timing belt is due at 105k. Mods are totally up to you. A PML can be done in an afternoon, and an alignment. Most start with painting faded trim, resonator delete, etc... and of course fluid changes (synthetic).

Also... the X is TOTALLY worth every penny. Mine has been put through hell and is still going strong!

Sent from my N860

#3 ·
Now is the perfect time to modify it. These things are cheap and plentiful these days. If it were to die, you can get another lol. Long as the timing and maintenance is up to par as stated above you should be fine.

#4 ·
Already got the bumper and trim all painted, soon as i get back form the fam I'm going to repaint the door handles too. Ive been thinking of painting the roof rack all black too, as my X is black and will definitely darken the tailights. I've been looking on the site and im definitely going to rex rug it, and try to find a way to get my subs stealthed for more cargo, as they are currently taking up over half of the cargo area now. Thinking about one of each side of the cargo area, and my amp on the back of the backseat, or just running some wire and putting the amp under the drivers seat.

I'm going to replace the timing belt within a week, and my shocks need to be replaced, but am unsure of which ones to get for it.

I had to buy a battery for the X as soon as i got it, as the stock battery was absolutely useless with my sound system.

#5 ·
I started really modding mine around 135k. Good thing about the X is that if you have a ton of money to mod it, you can make it an insane off road ride, but it can also be made more than capable on a smaller budget. They have their problems, but they are all well known and you can find a fix for just about everything on here.

#6 ·
Go ahead and mod it now. I have 202,000km on mine and I am just starting to mod it now. Its getting a PML in a month or so, just drew up in autocad new cargo basket, light bar and rear tire carrier so that they can be fabricated and installed. Also remove the stock running boards, mud flaps and paid your wheels black if you have the steel wheels. Just doing that will make the truck look so much higher and cooler. Takje your time and have fun.

#8 ·
GO ahead and Mod it. I started to mod My 2002 Xterra at 110,000. I forsee it living well past its 200,000's. I have a neighbor with a 2001 NIssan XTerra with 212K miles on it. They look awesome and Blacking/Stealthing the rims looks amazing. Especially if you use bedliner. Pics attached. Also you can check out my build.

Btw when it dies. You can then do a diesel swap or put another Vg33 back in it. These motors run forever if taken care of.

#10 ·
I'm running an 01 5 Speed with 125,xxx miles on it and am loving the heck out out of it.
Careful though, once you start modifying it you may find it hard to stop!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.