Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Stripped timing belt..

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  VTxter 
#1 ·
Driving my xterra from to walmart in richmond, and instantly quits going up a small incline. Try to start it again and nothing but an increased rpm crank. No fire. I spend two hours trouble shooting and eventually come to the realization that my timing belt has broke or the gear on the camshaft has been sheared. I had to walk home at 12 at night in 15 degree weather. My x has 198000 miles on it. I bought it assuming that at 188000 miles it had been changed at some point around 100000. I was going to change it again at200000. So my question is, what are your experiences with timing belts stripping and is there a way to check the valves without comepletely stripping the engine? I have mine down to the timing belt and some of the intake manifold off.

#3 ·
How do i get those stupid two hoses from the back of the intake. My deconstruction has come to a halt.

#4 ·
The larger one on farthest towards the passengers side and the other larger one right next to it are coolant lines. The rest of them on the back of the plenum are vacuum hoses. I think there are two of them on the back. The odds of them coming loose are little to none. I had to cut mine to get them off.

While you are in there doing all that, might as well plan on doing the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs. You will also need a new intake manifold gasket. And if a bad knock sensor is something that concerns you replace it while your tearing it down.

#5 ·
I was thinking that too. What kind of plugs do you guys run. I went to get some a while ago and they were 14 dollars each. Also what do you think the chances of me getting out of this with out a valve job are.

#6 ·
What kind of plugs do you guys run. I went to get some a while ago and they were 14 dollars each.
NGK PFR5G-11. Use anything else at your own risk.
Also what do you think the chances of me getting out of this with out a valve job are.
50/50.

#9 ·
I met with a machinist i know and he says hell look at them and it will only be 12 dollars a valve. He also said Nissan's have pretty tough pistons and should not be damaged. Ive pulled the valve covers and all appears fine but then again i dont know what im looking for. Would i be able to see ad valves from the top?

#10 ·
I met with a machinist i know and he says hell look at them and it will only be 12 dollars a valve. He also said Nissan's have pretty tough pistons and should not be damaged. Ive pulled the valve covers and all appears fine but then again i dont know what im looking for. Would i be able to see ad valves from the top?
Not really unless one was severely bent.

#12 ·
I got the heads off and have learned that everything in the truck is connected to them. EvERYTHING. The number 5 piston has some hit marks but looks good and to my disbelief and happy wallet so do the valves! I only have the driver side head off so I so far appear to be halfway okay.

#13 ·
I think it's been mentioned already, but do yourself a favor and put new valve cover gaskets on before you put it back together. You'll thank us later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.