Nissan XTerra Forum banner

4bt Cummins?

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  midget28 
#1 ·
I just bought a 4 bt Cummins and have my X engine out. Ready to start trying to install. Have any of you done this? It's a 5 speed. My plan is to put on a dodge flywheel and starter then mount the Nissan clutch on it and adapt it to the nissan tranny. Most on the 4bt sites say the nissan can't stand up to it. The diesel weighs 750 pounds , I don't know how much the v6 weighs but I feel like I can beef up springs and shocks for that. The front diff is in the way of everything( including the Nissan engine as I'm sure you all know) so I guess I will lift the frame a bit . The diesel is all mechanical but I will still need to figure out how to put power back to the cockpit and everything else that needs it. I considered putting on the X flywheel but am afraid the nissan starter wouldn't crank it. Any advice from your guys experience will help. Thanks

#6 · (Edited)
Look up the name RoninJiro. He has done a Diesel swap and is selling the truck for 14K.

@Intender Yeah It is only stock but none the less I believe that it is a step forward for Xpressor. RoninJiro may be able to help because from my understanding Jiro went through alot of headaches just putting that puppy in.

SAS the truck first then try to do the swap. You are correct that the frame will not hold it.

As far as I know the Nissan Gear Reduction starter is pretty powerful but Am unsure as to whether it is powerful enough to turn it. Only thing I can say is measure its rotational speed and figure out how it is compared to the other starter. Outside of the vehicle.

Like I said though check out roninjiro. He will be your biggest asset if he will lend his thoughts.

#7 ·
ronins diesel is a factory one from the south american x. The 4bt is a much larger and heavier engine. It is also taller from what I have read. I dont think the issue with the weight is so much the frame as it is the ifs. The vg33e weighs around 300 pounds without the transmission and electronics. the 4bt is in excess of 700lbs. A steel bumper on the front of an x will make the front suspension drop a noticeable amount and they tend to weigh less than 200lbs, so you can imagine what another 200-300 pounds of engine on top of that would do to ifs.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming. I love these vehicles . The idea of having a cummins powered one is cool. I just need to decide whether to go on with it or find a different heavier platform. My Xterras always seemed pretty truck like to me.I feel like a few hundred pounds anywhere in it could be compensated for by stronger suspension. Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I have just been driving them and not trying to modify before.

- Who thinks the 4bt will kill the tranny? I would hope the driveline would be the weak link by far.

-I was just thinking I would put a cool hood scoop on that says cummins and let 'er stick out the hood unless it will obstruct view too much.

-I am hoping to accomplish getting a nice sized 4wd suv , with much improved fuel economy and an engine that is all mechanical .

#9 · (Edited)
Xpressor. Anything is possible bro. Dream big and Live good. I say go for it and I would love to see it as it is being built and after you build it.

Nobody knows until you do it. We put a man on the moon so I think you can put a big engine in an Xterra. The question though is
#1 How much money is it going to take and how long/difficult is it going to be.

The answers are.

Very Expensive and Very long with a large number of beers.

If your cool with that do some research and we will try to aid you the best we can. I right now am putting together a 4WD conversion and I hope to have it set up by this spring.

Your first bet in starting this project Xpressor is to Search and research doing a Solid Axle swap. If the SAS is something you feel you can handle then do some more heavy research on putting the engine in.

ALot of people on this forum have beefed up the frame and suspension.

I think IMHO the Xterra tranny stock cannot handle the 4bt. An Allison tranny is the best way to go.

I can GUARANTEE you will need to beef the frame and suspension up ALOT. Nissan Designed it to support what it supports now. Maybe 300-400 Pounds. Putting something in with twice as much weight will stress just about everything. Always remember. When you change anything on a vehicle your re-engineering and you have to be ready for stuff to change and/or break.

#12 ·
You get way more tourque out of a 4bt and the trans, transfer case and diffs will not hold up to this torque monster. If your going to do this, you really need to change the whole drive line and the sas will be a must, due to the engine hight.
You will most likjely need heavy duty diffs and have them cut down and shorter axles made.
This ain't going to be easy, but you will have one bad ass Xterra when done.
I hope you are up for the task and have the funds to pull it off!

I have a Dodge Dually with a Cummins (6bt 5.9 L), chipped, large exhaust and intake systems, 32 psi turbo, larger injectors and it is making 1000 lbs of torque. The rear diff is a dana 80 and the front a 60 (it is 4X4) I can not imagine the Xterra running gear holding up at all, even to a stock 4bt. You need to think seriously about changing the whole running gear!

Best of luck and keep us posted

#13 ·
I wheel with a guy that daily drives his 4bt powered Yj on 42" tires. His has a d44hd front and 14bolt rear.

The tranny though i really doubt would take it. Alot of swaps ive seen use an np205 tcase and 5speed trans nv4500 i beleive but could be wrong. The 4bt is atleast 12" taller than a v6 engine in the X so youll have to ditch the main crossmember thats why you have to beef the frame. The main rails are box tubing & will take the weight if you build the mounts properly for the engine,trans,tcase.

The Nissans factory rearend will take the torque until maybe a 35" tire and a dana 44 front will also survive will be fine till a 35". If you go larger your playing with fire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.