Nissan XTerra Forum banner

K&n drop in air filter

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  miskywhisky 
#1 ·
Hello guys, im just new on the site and I know this is a noob question, but please help me out. I'm planning to replace my 2003 xterra oem filter with a brand new k&n drop in air filter, my question is, am i going to have a problem with my MAF sensor once i installed the brand new filter? Thanks in advance

#2 ·
#3 ·
The only times you have to worry about the MAF is if something gets it dirty (This can happen when using an oiled filter that has too much oil on it, or running a bad filter that is letting too many particles through which then stick to the sensor) or when upgrading to a larger intake tube diameter. It doesn't make much sense to install a 4" intake pipe when all the air still has to make it through a 3" MAF is all that means.

A drop in filter won't affect it, and K&N makes really good products.

Good luck and have fun with it! :biggrin:

#7 ·
Just a follow up question guys, since i'm planning to put a k&n drop in on my 2003 X, do i need to disconnect my battery before installing it? i've searched a lot on this (googled it and shows different threads from different forums) and its got mixed opinions. They say that i need to disconnect the battery for a certain number of 1+hours, turn the lights on for 10-15 minutes or until its fully drain, in order for the computer to be reset so that the computer will recognized any modifications, And some say it is not necessary to disconnect the battery, just replace it and done (maybe 15 minutes of time)
I just want to know what my fellow members did to their X and what are their experience after doing it (ie. problems if not disconnecting)

#8 ·
I just swapped mine in....no battery stuff to deal with. They are referring to the ECU computer thingy "remembering" old fuel maps blah blah blah...I don't see any reason to deal with that...swap it in like you would a normal air filter

#9 ·
I just swapped mine in....no battery stuff to deal with. They are referring to the ECU computer thingy "remembering" old fuel maps blah blah blah...I don't see any reason to deal with that...swap it in like you would a normal air filter
Start the truck, disconnect the MAF, truck dies, turn off ignition, re-connect MAF, start truck, done. What's to deal with? It takes less then a minute to complete the whole process of clearing stored values.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.