Hi there, my battery died today. :(

What kind of battery do I need for a

2001 Nissan XTerra
4x2
XE

116k miles.

Thank you! :)

#2 ·
I'd go for a 12 volt personally. Go to the store and they will get you set up right :)

#3 ·
Go see your friends at Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, O'Riely, etc. Most will even put them in for you if you want. I've had good luck with Auto Zone mid-grade batteries over the past several years.

#5 ·
I have a 25 series battery on mine that i purchased in 09.

our trucks allow for several series battery to go in...a 24 series, 25, and 26. 25 and 26 series are shorter while the 24 is longer. all three should fit, its your decision. if you want to get the same size you have right now.

as noted in another reply, any auto parts store should help you out.

if you want to op for a stronger battery go ahead, will come in handy in winter months; however, more amps more money.

#6 ·
#8 ·
For that kind of $$ why wouldn't you go for a Optima yellowtop?

#9 ·
For that kind of $$ why wouldn't you go for a Optima yellowtop?
x2

as i see it you have 3 choices
1. cheap stock watt batt from wherever is cheap.
(most sulfuric acid batts will all last about the same with maintenance)

2. 1000 watt cheap batt

3. Optima batt
(have some kind of gel if i remember correctly, so they work correctly upside down and wont spill. they also last at least twice as long)

i went with 2 (they all work and create 12 volts)

#10 ·
Well morganology, since you're in LA and you don't have to deal with the bitter arse cold that kills batteries, I'd just go back with the stocker. Any parts store will be able to hook you up with minimal outlay.

Unless you have a huge stereo, a ton of lights, maybe a refrigerator in the back for those Anzo camping trips, then I'd just stick with the stocker. Otherwise, a nice yellowtop or dry cell (even a gell cell) will work nice for the larger draws.

#11 · (Edited)
The main reason to go with a Gel Cell battery for example, over a 12v generic plate battery, is if you off road, and the battery is subjected to more vibration, etc...or maybe being upside down, etc.

The el cheapos fall apart, as they ARE CHEAP because they didn't waste money on the battery's construction.

They KNOW some people will buy whatever is cheapest, as long as its 12v and is rated to put out the cranking amps to start their engine.....period.

As the rating doesn't say how it holds up to abuse, it doesn't HAVE TO be able to hold up to abuse, it can fall apart, and your prorated warranty will mean they get you AGAIN.

:D

An el cheapo battery is more easily damaged by drawing it down too low too....better batteries can survive more of that.

The deep cycle gel cells (Optima, Exide Orbital, etc...) survive being drawn down further and longer, and tend to survive the cold, being upside down, rattled around, and so forth...as they are made very very well.

So - if you do not have to depend on your battery, you only break down where AAA can get you - and you never need to be anywhere that a dead battery might keep you from being, sure, go el cheapo.

If the above DOESN'T apply to you, and you have a lot of power stuff, you go where AAA doesn't (Off road for example), and being late to an appointment, etc, might BE a problem, consider getting something more reliable.

:wink-big:

PS - If you are at 116k miles.....

Did you already change you TIMING BELT? (Due at 105k Miles)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.